Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with Circuit diagram for connecting supercapacitors in series

Status
Not open for further replies.

SujithZis

I needed to make a supercap battery bank circuitc with >>5V input connected to, two 5.4V supercapacitors connected in series , and output from supercapacitors with on/off switch.<< Its harder the way I did it

also will i be able to get 10V Vout after fully charging the supercapacitors

Is the switching done manually or automatically?
Is the input voltage for charging the caps always >>5.4V?
Have you considered how you will protect the caps to ensure they aren't over-charged?

Switching is done manually

Input voltageto charge the super caps is 5V (charging it via data cable)

Plus I'm using a resistor on the terminals from datacable for protection

So that the super capacitors will only. Charged up to 5v

But I don't know how to connect the negatives

Attachments

• IMG_20140117_161341.jpg
    IMG_20140117_161341.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 335
The expression:
>>5V input
Mathematically means "Very much greater than 5 volts"

Do you really mean that, or is it just some weird punctuation which just distracts from the meaning of the words, and you are just charging from a 5 volt supply ?

JimB

If you're charging from a 5V and want 10V out, you either need a converter to generate the 10V, or use a DPDT switch to change the configuration of the capacitors between parallel (for charging both to 5V) and series (for providing 10V output)

Try connecting it as shown here:

Two Capacitors.JPG

I have used two switches so that the capacitors may be charged individually and then connected in series.

Whay do you want to do this?
Also be aware that a discharged "super capacitor" will probably drag your supply down to a low voltage, unless the supply can provide a lot of current to charge the capacitor.

JimB

I'm using the circuit as the storage bank for my peizoelectric project

Yes I can provide up to 4~6V continously through peizodiscs in series

Also what is the name of that switch which you have used it seems to have three terminals

Also can you tell which are the positive and negative terminals

And how should I put the switches to get output 10v

Also what is the name of that switch which you have used it seems to have three terminals

The switch is a "double pole double throw" switch, and it has six terminals.
Have a look at the picture in this link:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/toggle-switches/7346805/
That switch also has a centre-off position, which may or may not be useful, but that type of switch with two sets of changeover contacts.
You will need two of these switches, one for each capacitor.

JimB

Why are you using capacitors instead of batteries? Unlike capacitors, batteries maintain relatively constant voltage over a wide range of charge states.

No, those are two dual switches in there - DPDT aka double pole double throw. You see that dashed line that connects the pair of switches? That is one DPDT switch.
What strikes me here is how you can disagree with something that you clearly don´t understand.

Thank you solo much kubeek and jimb the circuit worked

But still there's unnecessary discharge from super caps .. do you know how to prevent that

But still there's unnecessary discharge from super caps .. do you know how to prevent that
That's the nature of the beast. Internal discharge rate is greater than for most battery types. Find a way to overcome that and your fortune is made!

That's the nature of the beast. Internal discharge rate is greater than for most battery types. Find a way to overcome that and your fortune is made!
im still in school and my 11nth exams are soo damn tough .... bucking chemistry ...... homeworks ... bla bla bla

im still in school and my 11nth exams are soo damn tough ..
Good luck with those. Make the most of your school years; adult life gets even tougher :).

Try connecting it as shown here:

View attachment 83551

I have used two switches so that the capacitors may be charged individually and then connected in series.

Whay do you want to do this?
Also be aware that a discharged "super capacitor" will probably drag your supply down to a low voltage, unless the supply can provide a lot of current to charge the capacitor.

JimB

Hey JimB I need you're help ... I'm stuck ... I am not able to connect that double blabla switch with the super capacitors as you mentioned .

The switch has 6 terminals and how should I connect them with super capacitors

Can you please provide a numbered layer diagram

Attachments

• IMG_20140203_181927.jpg
    IMG_20140203_181927.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 300
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back