Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help wiring a 2 wire solenoid valve with a solid-state relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakk33

Hello,

To start off I'm fairly new with electronics so please excuse any ignorance.

My end goal is to be able to actuate a solenoid valve by sending a 5V signal to the relay.

Relay: https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/240/CPC1706-1548577.pdf
Solenoid: https://www.parker.com/Literature/P...re Solenoid Valves/Series 9 Gas datasheet.pdf

My power source is a 6 cell, 22.2V 4500mAh Lipo battery connected through a 24V step-up DC booster (https://www.pololu.com/product/2582)

I'm not very familiar with the solenoid or relay. I do know that I need a resistor on the negative end of the signal for the relay, I have a 1k resistor there and am sending a 5V signal with a DC power supply (later this will be controlled with a microcontroller of some sort). I've seen that it's common to put a diode in parallel with the solenoid, however I'm not sure why this is or what kind of diode I will need. Also, I feel that I need a resistor of some sort in series with the solenoid but am not sure.

Any help (or circuit diagram) would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

It would help if you explain what you are trying to do rather than how you think you should do it. First thought is a logic level MOSFET driven by your uC. However, stepping up 22.2V to 24V seems like a waste of time.

Mike.

Sorry thought I had stated that. I need the solenoid to be actuated when the uC sends a 5V signal to the relay. When the signal stops, the solenoid closes. We're hoping to accomplish this using the relay. Send a 5V signal into the relay, trigger the solenoid, signal stops and the solenoid closes. I mainly just want to find out if I'm using the relay correctly, and what components I need to add to the circuit.

I'd really like to get this circuit going with these main components if possible.

Is the uC an Arduino? If so then buy a relay shield which should have the necessary diodes across the relay.

Mike.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into that.

Is there no other way for my current setup to work? Or could you point me in the right direction to find out? I'd like to learn how to make this circuit work for future reference instead of just buying another part to make it work.

It's often said that a picture is worth a thousand words. In the world of electronics, the best picture is a schematic or at least a pictorial. A pictorial is a drawing of the parts that you're using and how you're connecting them together.

You will get a lot further along, and get there much faster, if you make a drawing of what you're doing first. Post that here and the help you get will be much more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back