Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help in Op Amp circuit design

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaeg

Hello,

Im new to this forum and a student of electronics,

I need help to realize an op-amp based circuit that will satisfy the following input-output transfer characteristic

ecda0b59-ac7a-40c6-8377-aa8036e0b539.jpg

The sole requirement is to design an opamp based circuit with the least number of opamps

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Hi rhaeg,

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay here.

...The sole requirement is to design an opamp based circuit with the least number of opamps
And it sounds like we would be doing your homework for you if we just handed you a circuit...

We have a "Homework Help" forum for this.

rhaeg
If this a school/college/university assignment, please let us know and I (or one of the other Moderators) will move it to the correct forum.

JimB

rhaeg
If this a school/college/university assignment, please let us know and I (or one of the other Moderators) will move it to the correct forum.

JimB

It is indeed, a university exercise for practice,
i have tried different solutions, however, currently stuck.

Please do move it,

Thank you and sorry for the hustle.

Moved to Homework Help...

A modification of the circuits presented here might be suitable...

So, currently my only guess is the attached circuit,
this is only for the first stage (negative voltages), i realize that another stage should be added.

However, the characteristic is very far from what is required.

Attachments

• trial.asc
    1.3 KB · Views: 284
So, having tried to follow the lead of MikeMI,
i'm getting closer, currently, i am able to get the correct behavior for positive voltages, i.e (almost) linear follow upto 7V saturation, and then constant 7V.
However, still unable to get the correct behavior on the negative side.

**broken link removed**

A question on that note,
what determines the voltage at which the opamp goes into saturation?

i attach the circuit in ltspice.

Attachments

• trial.asc
    1.7 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Try googling for "precision rectifier" This should help you with the part of the transfer function between -8 and + 8 volts. I will leave you to work out how to deal with the parts between -15 and -8 volts and between + 8 and + 15 volts.

Les.

Try googling for "precision rectifier"

Thank you! That hint got me going on the right way and i found that characteristic to be the one of a Full Wave Rectifier.

After simulation of the op amp based circuit i am able to get the correct characteristic.

**broken link removed**

However, i still have one problem,
is there a way to control the gain regardless of the power supply used for the Op Amps?
I am currently able to get a maximum voltage of 8V when setting the power supply to +-9.5V,
can i get the same with a supply of +-15V?

Attachments

• 25-07Solution.asc
    1.9 KB · Views: 274
Is the TL082 rail to rail?

Hi MikeMl,
Apologies for giving basically the same in my post #10 as you had given in your post #7. I only noticed it today .
rhaeg,
I suspect using the rail voltage to limit the output may not be acceptable as a solution. I also suspect the classic zener diode in the feedback may also be unacceptable as it would require selecting an 8.2 volt zener that was at the low end of its tolerance. I can think of a way that would probably work using one extra op amp but I can't think a hint. (Other than giving you the full idea.)

Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back