Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help! Converting 12v Solar Panel to 6V?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphy7068

I am building a small sail boat model that i want to run off of a bunch of 6V batteries in series so i can maximize the current. I also want to increase the stamina of the boat by installing solar panels. All i have is a solar panel that trickle charges 150 mA to 12V batteries. I want to convert it so it can trickle charge to 6V batteries as efficiently as possible. Here are some of my ideas:
1.) a potentiometer hooked up to a zener diode.
2.) linear regulator
3.) inverting op amps
If you have any suggestions for what is the best choice or if you have another suggestion please tell me.

A bunch of 6 volt batteries in series gives you 6 X bunch = total volts.

Why 6 volts? Everything now a days is or has common 12 volt compatibility ability by one common means or another.

Well i plan on using 5 * 1.2 Volt batteries in series to get 6 volts. I also plan on putting 4 of these 6 volt supplies in paralell to raise the Amp hours. The reason that i am operating at 6 volts is because the servos i have all operate at 6 volts, same with the microprocessor onboard and the sensor. My hope is to just have a rail of 6 volts that everything can connect off of. Thanks for your help.

Your OP says "run off of a bunch of 6V batteries in series". You cannot run them in series and parallel at the same time. It's been tried. All that happens is they explode.

Connect the 12v solar panel to the set of 6v batteries via a diode. All that will happen is the solar charger will start the charge the batteries at a lower level of sunlight.
At 150mA, the battereis will never get overcharged.

A capacitive charge pump will DOUBLE the current out of a solar panel if you halve the voltage. It could be a good idea.

1. charge pump is a goodidea if you are using solar 'cause it will charge the cells with less time..
2. you can provide the uC with the desired voltage by using a 7806 regulator and use an L 293 D motor driver for the driving mechanism.

You can simply use a voltage regulator IC ... find a scrap CRT monitor and there should be a few on the motherboard. Are you hooking the batteries in parallel (you said series)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back