Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[help] Comparison between PIC16 and Atmel ATmega

Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna1

Hi
This a question from one of my exam papers.I searched all over internet but couldn't find any article or information source comparing atmel vs PIC in following manner.
all i could find was threads talking about which is better.none of them discussed the matter with respective to following points.
so can some one help me here?

thank you

Compare two microcontrollers PIC16F and Atmel ATmega considering following facts

1. Architecture
  2. Microcontroller core
  3. ALU capabilities
  4. Instruction set
  5. Reliability of operation

Download the two datasheets and compare them - I doubt you're going to find any info anywhere about reliability though, as both should be exceptionally reliable (certainly PIC's are - it's VERY hard to even kill a PIC).

Download the two datasheets and compare them - I doubt you're going to find any info anywhere about reliability though, as both should be exceptionally reliable (certainly PIC's are - it's VERY hard to even kill a PIC).

Hi
I did download two datasheets and compared them.I see PIC has its registers separate while in atmel they are directly connected to ALU. is their any technical term to identify this two arrangements?

and can you please comment on
microcontroller core
ALU capability

I cant figure out any differences between atmel and PIC

That may not be true. A few years ago I got strange problems with a few of my PICs ordered in the same batch. Certain output pins of the PIC would be dead (always stuck to 0 or to 1) after some time (while the rest of the pins were still fine). Reprogramming did not help and the same PIC would fail eventually (verification error after programming). Until now I don't know what the problem is exactly but suspect that the circuit connected to those pins consumed more current than what the PIC is capable of.

That may not be true. A few years ago I got strange problems with a few of my PICs ordered in the same batch. Certain output pins of the PIC would be dead (always stuck to 0 or to 1) after some time (while the rest of the pins were still fine). Reprogramming did not help and the same PIC would fail eventually (verification error after programming). Until now I don't know what the problem is exactly but suspect that the circuit connected to those pins consumed more current than what the PIC is capable of.

You were doing something seriously nasty to it then - it's not a good sign if you don't have any idea what current you were trying to draw from the PIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back