Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help, can't upload pgm into Arduino board, which uses Atmega168.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwotoole

1)Just built Arduino compatable RBBB (really bare bones board) using Atmega168, with serial programming adapter/ (TTL-RS232 converter). **broken link removed**
Connected LED between pin 13 and gnd.
(2)Downloaded Arduino-0012 to PC.
(3)Connected power (9v) to RBBB, attached converter/progrmm. adapter between RBBB and serial port, com1, on PC.
(4)Pilot light comes on. pin 13 LED flashes on and off
(5)Booted up Arduino-0012 alpha > SKETCHBOOK > EXAMPLES > DIGITAL > BLINK
(6)Tried uploading to I/O board, but get error: Problem uploading to board . there are two error messages:
(i) avrdude: stk500_get sync(): not in sync: resp+0x00
(ii)avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

The pgm BLINK is NOT being uploaded to RBBB.

Can anyone tell me what those error messages mean?
How can I get this RBBB to upload programs (sketches)?

LED connected to pin 13 flashes, which I'm told is due to the pre-loaded arduino bootloader. (it flashes more frequently than one flash per second as BLINK pgm. calls for)

I'm using windows XP. The RBBB is connected to PC serial port using RS232 cable with 9-pin D connectors. (RBBB to serial programming adapter/ (TTL-RS232 converter thru RS232 cable to pc SERIAL PORT).

I've posted this problem (twice) with an Arduino forum more than 2 days ago, with only one replier who couldn't tell me much and was referred to RBBB seller. Seller has been trying to help, but finally said that I should send it all back to him so he can test the parts. But I think its still has something to do with the inability of PC and microcontroller to recognize each other.
Searching thru the internet, I've found several other postings by people who have had the same problems with Arduino equipment, but have been unable to come up with any answers as to how to fix the problem. Nobody seems to know what to do, or what those error messages mean.

Thanks
Patrick

3v0 stated:
The schematic on the linked showed a 16 MHz resonator. Check the markings on the one you have to see if it matchs.

How many blinks per minute are you getting from the LED?

Yes the resonator is 16 MHz. There are two LEDs one has been connected tempoprarily to the board (test light),it blinks about once per half second. The other is a pilot light that is part of the board's circuitry.The pilot light stays on steadily. Seller says this all means controller is working because it was pre-programmed to do that.

I've checked, and rechecked the circuitry along with reheating and remelting solder connections. (chips were not on board while soldering; IC sockets were used) I've tried pushing the reset button before, after and during uploading at different intervals of time. The parts all came in a package and the kit is quite simple and easy to put together. Took the chips out and reseated them more than once.

Perhaps the chip needs a new bootloader. There just seems to be some kind of incompatability between my PC and the Arduino set up. I get a security warning that states: PUBLISHER UNKNOWN, ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO OPEN THIS PGM? whenever I attempt to open the Arduino-0012 Alpha program. However, I can still open and run it.
Maybe I should take the Arduinoized AT168 chip out, replace it with another that can be programmed with an STK200/300 ISP programmer and BASCOM-AVR set-up that I use to program an ATMEGA32 board.

My PC runs on Windows XP and I use McAfee as security.

Patrick

blueroomelectronics asked:
Are you sure the AVR is preprogrammed with the bootloader
?

The seller says that it is, and that it is supposed to be Arduino compatable.
On the Arduino-0012, under TOOLS there is a function titled "Burn Bootloader" with four choices for burning bootloader. I'm not sure what that is all about, but maybe its a way of adding or refreshing a bootloader.

Patrick

PUBLISHER UNKNOWN, ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO OPEN THIS PGM?
This is not a problem. It is just saying that the program has not been registered with microsoft.

(i) avrdude: stk500_get sync(): not in sync: resp+0x00
(ii)avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

It looks like the board could be responding to the PC. Can you use a scope LA or logic probe to confirm this. If you have a scope or LA you could compare the baud rates.

Guessing here:
Make sure you have it connected to the right port. (yeah I know)
Try turning off the serial port FIFO's in XP.
Try a different PC.

3v0 stated:
Guessing here:
Make sure you have it connected to the right port. (yeah I know)
Try turning off the serial port FIFO's in XP.
Try a different PC.

Serial port com1, I think that's the only one that I can connect to.
Turning off FIFO's, will that cause other problems, or interfere with anything?
The other PC that we have is my wife's, I wouldn't dare!
I'll try turning off FIFO's .
Arduino has a lot of info, one thing is, info on programming by different methods,for instance: how to make a parallel programmer. Use the parallel system to (1) burn a different bootloader or (2) use the parallel system to program the chip as is done with other AVR systems. I could try something like that, since I already have a STK200/300 programmer that I use to program an M32 kit that uses an ATMEGA32 as its microcontroller. Would this be possible?

Thank you
Patrick

Serial port com1, I think that's the only one that I can connect to.
Turning off FIFO's, will that cause other problems, or interfere with anything?

At worst it would slow down other serial communication that uses COM1. But it will not prevent them from working. COM1 is not used by many apps these days.
And you can always turn it back on.​

The other PC that we have is my wife's, I wouldn't dare!

I understand.​
I'll try turning off FIFO's .

Reboot the system after you turn them off. Just to be sure.​

Arduino has a lot of info, one thing is, info on programming by different methods,for instance: how to make a parallel programmer. Use the parallel system to (1) burn a different bootloader or (2) use the parallel system to program the chip as is done with other AVR systems. I could try something like that, since I already have a STK200/300 programmer that I use to program an M32 kit that uses an ATMEGA32 as its microcontroller. Would this be possible?

Thank you
Patrick

The method in red is what I would do. No fighting with the com port.

3v0

LATE REPLY: the problem is that you have no serial link with the p.c, check your serial cable.

Yes and it was pretty bloody obvious if u know anything about it
What a load of gobbly gook

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back