Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[help]automotive adapter for labtop computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireman

I got a project regarding the automotive adapter for labtop computer... i search for google and i cant get any information.. my project details is as below :

Objective to develop a dc-dc power converter with the following capability: Input range is 10 V to 20 V dc. No damage if the input is negative (connected backwards) or if short voltage spikes up to 75 V are imposed. Output is 16 V dc +/- 2%. Load power range is 0 to 50 W. Electrical isolation is required between input and output. Miniaturization is important.

Description This project present the design, construction, and testing of an inexpensive, compact vehicle adapter for a laptop computer. The adapter will be useful for cars as well as for trucks with diesel engines. We will use a dc-to-dc converter with an input voltage range of 10-30Vdc. The output voltage will remain at a nominal value of 16Vdc with no more than a +/-2% voltage ripple. Load power range is 0 to 50 W. The adapter will have many features such as electrical isolation, input voltage spike protection, low output voltage ripple, reverse polarity protection, and low design cost. These features will help to protect the vehicle and expensive laptop from fluctuations.

Can any one help me pls.....

I'd offer that you've got some work to do. We might help you get started but it's important that you do the work. I would like to think that your teacher will look for how YOU apply the things YOU know.

Switched Mode Power Supply or SMPS might be good terms to google on. National Semiconductor has a pretty good website that relates to SMPS - as do number of other IC manufacturers.

I had to take a phone call and had another thought. Tell us more about your background, coursework and why you are doing this project. That might help us to stimulate your thinking process. Again, I'd think that an expectation of you is to put what you have learned (electronics skills) to work in designing the supply. I would think that what is not expected and will cost you in terms of grades is a project design that's done by someone else.

I've no intent to scold or criticize you. I am trying to encourage you to roll your shirtsleeves up, in a manner of speaking, dive in and have some fun.

As suggested, it's YOUR project YOU need to do it, cheating helps no one, least of all you!.

However, you might consider looking at the current issue of EPE (Aug 2006).

ya.. i know.. i need to done my Literature Review.. so i need to find more information about tis topic.. I am not trying to cheating.. I want to learn alot from this project.. Any one got a briefly idea bout this?

stevez said:
I'd offer that you've got some work to do. We might help you get started but it's important that you do the work. I would like to think that your teacher will look for how YOU apply the things YOU know.

Switched Mode Power Supply or SMPS might be good terms to google on. National Semiconductor has a pretty good website that relates to SMPS - as do number of other IC manufacturers.

Thanks for your information.. i will try to looking forward about the SMPS .. thanks alot..

However, you might consider looking at the current issue of EPE (Aug 2006).

I was recently critisied for reading EPE at work. It all started off with me being made fun of for reading an Electronics magazine on my lunch break, and then the head of engineering made the comment that it was commendable to be reading an Electronics magazine, however it was unfortunate that I was reading the wrong one.

I quite like EPE!!! It's very practical. I also read Elektor Electronics regularly, which is more interesting but often less practical.

Brian

I have used a few projects off the EPE website myself (and with Nigel's pointer, I think he has them memorized or indexed)..

If your business and your hobby are the same, why not read them. I get ideas, and also re-learn stuff that was all the time.

ThermalRunaway said:
I was recently critisied for reading EPE at work. It all started off with me being made fun of for reading an Electronics magazine on my lunch break, and then the head of engineering made the comment that it was commendable to be reading an Electronics magazine, however it was unfortunate that I was reading the wrong one.

He sounds like a prat! - what's wrong with EPE?, it's a great practical magazine - not highbrow enough for him perhaps?.

As some of us know, some engineer consider themself as king of the world as know everything on something.. that's what they believe though. I'll never ever consider consider reading electronic magasine as a mess of time. Perhaps, you may learn from it. Sure some article may be discutable but it's giving you food for thought. Discover other idea is never a mess of time. Just giving you another point of view wich, in some occasion, may solve a previous headache or help in future project.

Frankly, I was always pratial to Wireless World/E&WW/Electronics World or whatever they're called now and of course Circuit Cellar, Nuts & Volts when I can find it. I have the entire set of Elektor on CD, 1995-2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back