Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"Hello World" affecting other LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

warp_kez

I have done the traditional Hello World with a blinking LED.

When it runs, it affects the power LED by dipping it.

I have the power LED after the 78L05 regulator with a 210ohm resistor.

Any ideas?

I have done the traditional Hello World with a blinking LED.

When it runs, it affects the power LED by dipping it.

I have the power LED after the 78L05 regulator with a 210ohm resistor.

Any ideas?

hi,
Its possible that the 78L05 reg is current limiting, you could try a 7805 reg.
Whats the voltage source, mains or battery.?

Also what capacitors do you have on the +5V line.?

Last edited:
I have attached the schematic for the board.

Attachments

• dev-board.jpg
    dev-board.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 213
I have attached the schematic for the board.

hi,
You are showing a 7805 reg [1Amp] not the 78L05 [100mA].?

You should add a 470µF cap across the +5V to 0V

Whats the LED matrix made up of.? Rows/Cols ?

EDIT: its also advisable to have a 100uF cap as close as possible to the MCU pins 20/10 +5v/0V

Last edited:
I am not real good with documenting my work etc.

I just plugged the regulator circuit into LTSpice, I think I am starting to see what the problem might be. Without the LED, I get an output of 5.2v at ~120mA. When I add the LED, voltage drops to 4.7v at ~80mA.

I am not real good with documenting my work etc.

I just plugged the regulator circuit into LTSpice, I think I am starting to see what the problem might be. Without the LED, I get an output of 5.2v at ~120mA. When I add the LED, voltage drops to 4.7v at ~80mA.

Which 5V regulator are you using a 78L05 or 7805 ?. and the caps I mentioned are required.

The eye responds to peak brightness; by varying the LED duty cycle and using a big enough cap and a small enough series resistor you can probably fix this problem without dropping the perceived brightness.

The eye responds to peak brightness; by varying the LED duty cycle and using a big enough cap and a small enough series resistor you can probably fix this problem without dropping the perceived brightness.

Are you sure about that because I have varied an LEDs brightness by varying the duty cycle and keeping the peak current the same.

Mike.

Hi,

120mA sounds like a lot for a micro with two LEDs (unless I'm missing something here).

I presume you've checked for shorts, miswiring etc?

Other than that I'd suggest looking at the program and checking if there are peripherals enabled that shouldn't be. For example with a PIC if you have enabled analog input for a digital output you'll get a serious power drain like this, perhaps even damage the chip.

Not sure about ATMEL. I note in your cct your LED output is connected to pin AIN0.

Phil

I have redone the schematic.

I have checked for shorts, but nothing is obvious. I did run around with a knife to make sure, but that does not guarantee I got them all.

Attachments

• dev-board mkII.jpg
    dev-board mkII.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 169
Well, I bread boarded the original circuit, and it worked exactly as it should. I must have a short somewhere.

But I am going to do the MkV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back