Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hearing test

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be interesting to see the little hearing test again with your new "ears". :woot:

It would be interesting to see the little hearing test again with your new "ears". :woot:
I tested it and found that it is better but is not turned all the way up to "normal" yet because the ear molds to block feedback have not been made yet. If the ear molds fit properly then on Wednesday I should have perfect hearing and I will post the resulting graph.
The "music" setting has a flatter frequency response than the "voice" settings that boost mid-range frequencies. The "automatic" setting switches from front mics to back mics or cuts low and high frequency noise (and sometimes cuts music sounds) or reduces levels and does as it thinks is best.

Today I was driving in my car and I forgot that the hearing aids go to the "automatic" setting when the batteries are turned on for the day. I heard breathing sounds sometimes. It was my dog sitting behind me and the automatic setting kept switching from front mics (engine sounds) to rear mics (my dog breathing). I think "music" and "voice" settings use the front mics only.

Wow! Pretty fancy. :woot:
Ain't modern technology grand?
The hearing aids have Bluetooth or something to talk to each other (I push the settings button on either one then BOTH change to the same setting wirelessly. They also receive settings instructions and volume control adjustments wirelessly from the remote control but I use the settings for a volume control then I do not need the remote. Frequency response, anti-feedback amounts and compressor amounts are also programmed into them wirelessly.
This manufacturer does not use voice announcements of settings like the other manufacturer (it said, "Master" or "Comfort"), instead this one chimes the number of the setting. The other one said, "Low Baddry" but this one goes, "Dong, dong". This one might use voice announcements on the next software update.

There is a remote audio feed device (I get it in a few days) that transmits stereo audio from my stereo or from my TV wirelessly to the hearing aids. I tried the wired version but it produced no bass sounds because I do not have sealed ear molds yet.

Audioguru....I will post the resulting graph.

Did they also give you a Hearing Frequency Graph of your hearing Before getting this hearing Aid?
So you have a real comparison.

Did they also give you a Hearing Frequency Graph of your hearing Before getting this hearing Aid?
So you have a real comparison.
I didn't like the too shrill, too loud sounds from the first Audiologist and Danish hearing aids so I got a second opinion from another place.
Their tests disagree, probably because the tests are for showing the low level thresholds of hearing but I have tinnitus (high frequency tones or hiss) all the time which covers up my high frequency thresholds. The first test used ordinary tones but I could not hear if it was a testing tone or if it was my tinnitus tone. The second place used pulsed warble tones that sound different from my tinnitus tones.

The first Audiologist turned up the hearing aids to 100% for the first time I tried them. It was a shock and sounded awful. The second Audiologist has a very good plan to turn them up gradually in 3 stages over 6 weeks so I can get used to them and it worked.

I heard a big difference between the Danish hearing aids and the Swiss ones. I think the Danish ones concentrate only on 300Hz to 3kHz for "speech vowels" without knowing that the sibilants and consonants in speech are very important for understanding and extend to 14kHz or higher. The Danish hearing aids seemed to not have a compressor so many things sounded too loud. The compressor on the Swiss hearing aids works perfectly and I do not notice it working.

Here is the comparison of my hearing tests:

Attachments

• Hearing tests comparison.png
    Hearing tests comparison.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 115
I got ear molds that are custom-made for my ear canals and the hearing aids are turned up almost to normal but since I do not like how the anti-feedback causes high frequencies to flutter then it is turned off in the "music" mode.
When she was programming them the audiologist said she sees that I used the "music" mode the most. Are the hearing aids spying on my daily activities?
Before plugging in my son's over-the-ears (and over the hearing aids) headphones, the hearing aids beeped a warning that they were going up to max sensitivity. I guess the magnets in the headphones were detected to doo dat? So I cannot use the headphones with my hearing aids and a few of my telephones also cause that. When the magnet (?) is moved away then the hearing aids beep that they are going down to normal sensitivity.

I tested my aided frequency response with my cheap computer speakers and with my stereo but the results show the room response, not my hearing response.

Fantastic! Music is wonderful. I thought that the hearing aids would produce severe clipping when fairly loud (powered from a tiny 1.5V button battery) but they can go VERY loud with no distortion.
I wake in the morning without them and everything sounds OK. Then when I put them on, sounds are loud and shrill for a few minutes then I get used to hearing normally with them.
When I turn up the sensitivity in the voice mode with anti-feedback turned on then I can hear people talking far away. Another mode cuts background noise when nobody is talking to me or if there is no music and I use it when walking around a noisy mall.
When I take them off there is a HUGE difference and everything sounds low level and very muffled for a few minutes then I get used to hearing like I heard things for the past few years.

I traded in the special telephone that wirelessly plays telephone audio into BOTH hearing aids and got a stereo or TV Bluetooth transmitter. Then the hearing aids use the remote control as the receiver hanging from a cord around my neck that transmits wirelessly to the hearing aids. I don't like the restricted frequency response and distortion. When I use this in my backyard then the sound breaks up due to distance. I wish I could get credit for these options I will never use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back