Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hazardous thing happened at work

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like no. This link: https://www.electronicproducts.com/CurrentIssue.aspx (warning not going to be valid forever), the Nov 2014, cover (click on it) has an article on page 18 entitled "The Dual Functions of X and Y EMI capacitors", but it's not indexed. It could be an oversight. It is in the print edition. Maybe I could summarize? When I subscribed to the electronic edition, entire PDF's were available.

Hi 4pyros

Did a little travel last night. Visited a very well known and highly rated Forum where people "know stuff"...

They are discussing a PTC...like we use in a TV for degauss purposes...

And then people try to use the same for protection...

One of the chirps..."it is getting hot...it must be faulty". FFS that is it's job. Designed that way. Works quickly when cold...heats up and shuts down any flow to the degauss coils....and stays hot forever if there is Mains....

This Internet false misleading info is making me tired....I mean I have always said ETO is rock solid in that respect..

And so it is....but the others out there could take a leaf out of our book...

F**k popularity. F**k ratings. Truth only. Don't guess...

Only speak about the stuff you know..

Nothing pisses me off more than chancers that try to impress. Not on.

Sorry buddy

Wound your ear up tonight :(

Regards,
tvtech

TVTech ...

How come you didn't step up and straighten them out?

When you got all sorts of people with a varying degree of expertise, you are bound to have some misinformation. You could have challenged the person who provided the false info to cite their sources where the application they described was true and valid. How many circuits have you seen on forums that came from the internet that were poorly engineered or flat didn't do what was proclaimed? How many have you seen from the "over unity" types that came from the patent office that someone thinks should work, and those that don't help them "make them work" is part of a grand conspiracy against the "over unity" crowd.

Your failure to act is allowing someone to mislead another. I guess in plain English, I'm saying "If you don't take action when you can, don't go elsewhere and complain about your inaction to correct an obvious wrong."

I don't know what forum your speaking of, or thread, and don't care. I have the forums and threads I frequent and don't pay attention to others.

You can get pissed off as much as you like ... you need to take corrective action to lose that feeling.

Hi 4pyros

Did a little travel last night. Visited a very well known and highly rated Forum where people "know stuff"...

They are discussing a PTC...like we use in a TV for degauss purposes...

And then people try to use the same for protection...

One of the chirps..."it is getting hot...it must be faulty". FFS that is it's job. Designed that way. Works quickly when cold...heats up and shuts down any flow to the degauss coils....and stays hot forever if there is Mains....

This Internet false misleading info is making me tired....I mean I have always said ETO is rock solid in that respect..

And so it is....but the others out there could take a leaf out of our book...

F**k popularity. F**k ratings. Truth only. Don't guess...

Only speak about the stuff you know..

Nothing pisses me off more than chancers that try to impress. Not on.

Sorry buddy

Wound your ear up tonight :(

Regards,
tvtech
I know some people like that, Hate them

Hi 4pyros

and isn't due this reason advisable not to turn off/on frequently? instead, ptc should be allowed to cool bit before restart?

''fuse blows, it must be faulty...''

Hi Joe

I stumbled across the post. I am not a registered member there. And, quite frankly, I would not go to the trouble of registering just for one post to correct someone...

Nah. Not worth the bother.

Regards,
tvtech

I would not register just to straigten out an issue. I just leave the forum to their own design.

You probably didnt see some of the usual characters registered there either. You know who answers question in forums and some are members in a number of forums.

and isn't due this reason advisable not to turn off/on frequently? instead, ptc should be allowed to cool bit before restart?

Hi Fez

In order for a PTC to be able to control the degauss of a tube....as in actually allow the degauss, it needs to be cold. So, from cold switch on, it will degauss and do it's job for that second or so and then no more current flows as it's resistance is high when hot. And hot it stays normally......

Here is the problem though. Many people never turn their CRT sets off at the Mains switch. They always use the remote. So in this case, the PTC never gets to allow a degauss as it is permanently hot and seeing Mains all the time.

LG with some of their bigger CRT's here use a Relay with a contact in series with the PTC. At cold switch on the Relay gives the PTC maybe 2 seconds or so to degauss...and then disconnects the PTC. It's job is done. Afterall, why let the thing run hot most of it's life when its not necessary??

Quite clever actually. Also using a Relay to control the PTC allows for the "really" lazy to simply select "degauss" in the tv's Menu (with the Remote) and bingo...push the button...degaussing complete a second later. All explained in the Owners Manual.

Picture beautiful again :)

Regards,
tvtech

hehe, stupid prank came ti my mind, replace PTC with NTC :D just kidding here...

In order for a PTC to be able to control the degauss of a tube....as in actually allow the degauss, it needs to be cold. So, from cold switch on, it will degauss and do it's job for that second or so and then no more current flows as it's resistance is high when hot.
A real world experience from many years ago.
A VDU mounted in a metal cabinet with other control system equipment, was showing signs of severe magnetisation.
The usual thing of turning it off, leaving it for a while and turning back on did not cure the problem. So the VDU was replaced with a spare.
On returning the spare to the workshop to check it out - perfect! no problems.
The inside of the cabinet was hot enough for the PTC in the VDU to stay high resistance and so the degauss did not work.
After it had returned to room temperature, no problem. One switch-on cycle had fixed it.

JimB

VDU?

As I remember TV sets did not need to be degaussed all the time.
I used to do it as a kid.
R
I removed an old coil from a bad TV and hooked it up to a dimmer switch.

A real world experience from many years ago.
A VDU mounted in a metal cabinet with other control system equipment, was showing signs of severe magnetisation.
The usual thing of turning it off, leaving it for a while and turning back on did not cure the problem. So the VDU was replaced with a spare.
On returning the spare to the workshop to check it out - perfect! no problems.
The inside of the cabinet was hot enough for the PTC in the VDU to stay high resistance and so the degauss did not work.
After it had returned to room temperature, no problem. One switch-on cycle had fixed it.

JimB

Thanks for sharing Jim. I like this kind of stuff... the real world experience info and all :).

Regards,
tvtech

As I remember TV sets did not need to be degaussed all the time.

True 4ypyros. That was Years ago. When tubes were tough, Hi Fi speakers had small magnets, vacuum cleaners were few and far between and surround sound systems did not exist...

We used to remove failed PTC's from contract customers sets in the early Nineties...because they had no work to do. All they did was cause problems for us..

How things have changed though since then. Nowdays, the PTC is necessary to be functioning and working properly with all CRT sets..

Otherwise...hello "rainbow picture". Crazy stuff.

Regards,
tvtech

hehe, stupid prank came ti my mind, replace PTC with NTC :D just kidding here...

LOL Fez

I had a joking post going here teasing you and all....saying it is possible....like hair catching alight....then thought NO :wideyed:

Maybe, just maybe someone sees it..and tries it.

I have to stay as responsible as I can be for my own actions. Deleted the post. As funny as I thought it was.

Regards,
tvtech

hello "rainbow picture". Crazy stuff.
Mite be cool to see.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back