Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Have you done anything big: start a business, climb a mountain, build your own house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what pic you gonna use? :D

I have done a bit of tree felling and have found that the hardest part is digging up the roots.

Me too, but now I "work smarter" than harder. About 2 months ago, I took out a 12" diameter tree. It was mostly cut down a year before, but
I left 10' of it standing. then I killed the roots. I got out the "demolition hammer" with a "clay spade" and a reciprocating saw and most of the root and the remainder of the tree was out in an afternoon. It's tough when the tree is cut at the ground level, but a lot easier if you leave at least 6 feet. The next day, I had to find a new chain for the chain saw. The following day, I dug out most of the feeders, then it was to backfill the hole and cut up the tree for firewood for someone else.

Got electronic parts as a gift from some kind foreign engineers! :) it 's greater than to climb mountain for me.

Me too, but now I "work smarter" than harder. About 2 months ago, I took out a 12" diameter tree. It was mostly cut down a year before, but
I left 10' of it standing. then I killed the roots. I got out the "demolition hammer" with a "clay spade" and a reciprocating saw and most of the root and the remainder of the tree was out in an afternoon. It's tough when the tree is cut at the ground level, but a lot easier if you leave at least 6 feet. The next day, I had to find a new chain for the chain saw. The following day, I dug out most of the feeders, then it was to backfill the hole and cut up the tree for firewood for someone else.

Very similar to my experiences with removing trees. In one case the tree roots had encased the drains which made removal much more difficult.

spec

Got electronic parts as a gift from some kind foreign engineers! :) it 's greater than to climb mountain for me.
:cool: and there are a few mountains worth climbing in your country.:D

spec

:cool: and there are a few mountains worth climbing in your country.:D
spec
Sure, we have world's tallest top 8 mountains except 2nd one.

Not able to show impressive feats for the moment but this one which consisted of just stopping at the right moment in a safe place to take the picture. The next will be with the five equal figures to match one of my mobile phones. Much easier than climbing those tall mountains in the Willen's backyard. :smug:

SANY0879.JPG

Always fun, trying to spot the magic numbers when they roll up...

Speaking of magic numbers, it's not a great feat, but food for thought if you like this kind of thing.
I tried one day lining up the last 100 draws of the national lottery, each number in a column, then took the average of each column. Unsurprisingly, these came out as equally spaced numbers through the 49 (whatever they were).
What was a surprise though, was that none of those numbers occurred in the 100 draws they were averaged out from. Strange.

Speaking of magic numbers, it's not a great feat, but food for thought if you like this kind of thing.
I tried one day lining up the last 100 draws of the national lottery, each number in a column, then took the average of each column. Unsurprisingly, these came out as equally spaced numbers through the 49 (whatever they were).
What was a surprise though, was that none of those numbers occurred in the 100 draws they were averaged out from. Strange.
I wrote a lottery attempt (6 from 49 numbers) simulator in C. I left it running for two days on an old Pentium machine. It never came up with a winning line.:eek:

spec

I think the problem with these kinds of methods it they produce sane sets of numbers, when what you really need is insane sets of numbers. The best strategy I can think of so far is to choose some numbers, throw them away and choose some different numbers (the famous 3 door / 2 goat / 1 car gameshow strategy I can't remember the name of).

I think the problem with these kinds of methods it they produce sane sets of numbers, when what you really need is insane sets of numbers. The best strategy I can think of so far is to choose some numbers, throw them away and choose some different numbers (the famous 3 door / 2 goat / 1 car gameshow strategy I can't remember the name of).
The best approach with the lottery is not allowed, because it involves submitting a huge number of bets- of course you can still lose. But if you can apply the Martingale, you cant lose.:joyful:

spec

With my infinite wealth and time of course. Oh, wait....

My state actually now selects numbers by computer and if the lottery commission picks "random" numbers for you, they leave out numbers that have a higher propensity of winning. The draw is compter generated too. They used to do it with a person and balls flying around.

The people who say, on the first number I was just two numbers high, on the second number I was just one number low, and on the third number I was just two numbers low and I got the rest of the numbers, so I want that far off the big one, make me smile.:)

In Ron Regan's star wars days a scientist said that the most laser power they could generate was 10 to the power 11 watts and that 10 to the power 13 Watts would be required to shoot a missile down (numbers made up). The newspaper reporter replied, "Not far to go then- just two more!".:joyful:

spec

Last edited:
Back when the UK lottery was still fairly new, I used to regularly buy tickets. I actually did have one where each number of was "off by one" from the winning ones, and quite regularly got 2 of the numbers. Just not quite good enough *sigh*

In the USA, where almost every state has its own lottery, I consider state-run lottery to be a tax on stupid people.

In the USA, where almost every state has its own lottery, I consider state-run lottery to be a tax on stupid people.

I consider it a tax on people who are bad at math.

I consider the lottery, and most gambling, a bit of fun.:)

But there are people, mostly who do not have much of anything, who spend a considerable sum on the lottery in the vain hope of the 'big win'- sad really.

spec

When I was a kid there was a derelict woollen mill near where I lived. Used to find loads of old bobbins in there, the sort which now sell for a pretty penny when nicely polished. Just junk back then of course. If only I'd had a crystal ball...
I am fascinated by industrial buildings and machines.

At age 14, my father-in-law started his working life in a cotton mill in the Manchester UK area. He used to tell some stories about the working conditions, but he also made me laugh about the way the women on the looms used to embarrass him to hell with lewd sexual innuendo.

Yes, a crystal-ball would be the thing. With just a minute of fore-site you could be a billionaire.

There are so many things that were considered junk at one time and are worth a fortune now.

When Japanese motorbikes hit the UK, the price of used Brit bikes dropped like a brick, and now most of them are worth a fortune. The same with automobiles.

And not that long ago vinyl HiFi was worthless, but not now.

spec

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back