Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Has anyone got an Easypic 5 board that is broken for sale? Or info on how to repair it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi to all,

I have recently had a bit of an accident involving my old but trusty Easypic 5 dev board and though it is not physically broken it is no longer seen on USB. As far as I can discern the main Pic that is the onboard programmer is dead.

If anyone has an old broken one or even a good one for sale, or has any idea how I can repair mine I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Al

Hi Ian, I already tried that. I asked if I could buy the pre-programmed Pic or if I could send the board for repair. They just are not interested at all, well they are in selling me an EP7, but that is the only thing they can (will?) help with.

Al

So if anyone has a broken one, so long as the PIC has survived I don't mind if the board has been run over!

Al

Perhaps they would surely serve you with a new pre-programmed PIC and any USB interface too, provided you have a skill to place them on the board (in case SMDs) WRITE TO THEM AD PROPOSE.

Hi Sarma, I did exactly that and they said they no longer have either the hardware or software available. Then added "you would be better buying our new EP7 at only ££££££££££". No thanks ME, if you cant help with old parts how bad will you be with new ones.

Al

hi Al,
Can you post a photo of the front/back of the 'dead' Easypic.?

Eric

the 28 pin chip could be USB supported 18F2550 or similar.
I shall try at the Indian distributor whether he could give the chip with program loaded.

please re think ,
you can still manage from an external pickit2 or 3 programmer. entire easypic v5 need not be abandoned.
you can save the file . you can even use com port thro com to usb converter for a possible pc link.

Hi Sarma, I did exactly that and they said they no longer have either the hardware or software available. Then added "you would be better buying our new EP7 at only ££££££££££". No thanks ME, if you cant help with old parts how bad will you be with new ones.

Al
Ok, so ££££££££££" actually means $149 plus $25 shipping. If most of your board works, why not just buy a PICkit2 or clone and program the chip, place it into your board and off you go.

Al
The ICD portion of the easypic5 is "virtually" the same as the LV18f v6 dev board... The pic18 ICD is surface mount but it will have the same software in... According to the ICD manual it is the same circuit for ALL MikroE devbords Check this PDF... I think a firmware update will fix your problem... ( There is firmware updates in the mikroProg suite )

hi Al,
Can you post a photo of the front/back of the 'dead' Easypic.?

Eric

Hi Eric, good to hear from you mate. I can certainly take pics of the board. Any specific size, place etc? By the way if you are looking for the schematics side of things I have complete ones for the EP5.

Al

Last edited:
the 28 pin chip could be USB supported 18F2550 or similar.
I shall try at the Indian distributor whether he could give the chip with program loaded.

Hi Sarma, it is indeed a 2550 and I can get one of those, its the program thats the problem.

Yes I could use the Pickit 3 on the board but I have grown so used to the EP5 now that I really miss its many sockets and jumpers that no-one knows the purpose of. ;)

Al

Ok, so ££££££££££" actually means $149 plus $25 shipping. If most of your board works, why not just buy a PICkit2 or clone and program the chip, place it into your board and off you go.

Hi Gophert, I just don't get what you mean with that bit?

Al

The ICD portion of the easypic5 is "virtually" the same as the LV18f v6 dev board... The pic18 ICD is surface mount but it will have the same software in... According to the ICD manual it is the same circuit for ALL MikroE devbords Check this PDF... I think a firmware update will fix your problem... ( There is firmware updates in the mikroProg suite )

Hi Ian, Can I actually do a firmware update if I can't see the EP5 from the computer?

Al

Open MikroProg and look for the device.... If it isn't there re-install the driver... If this doesn't work then the pic18 IS faulty.... I would be tempted to load a pic18 with a bootloader and try an put new firmware on it!!

Hi Sarma, it is indeed a 2550 and I can get one of those, its the program thats the problem.
Yes I could use the Pickit 3 on the board but I have grown so used to the EP5 now that I really miss its many sockets and jumpers that no-one knows the purpose of. ;)
Al
Hi, thanks.
perhaps the CD that you got with v5 board would contain the firmware.
otherwise
try to reverse engineer the schematic for that section and cross check with pickkit2 sch
if it is same, you might well use pickit2v2.61 firmware from microchip. but one needs to be careful not to erase the chip
as any hardware fault might camouflage as if firmware mistake.

Incidentally the guy who used to sell the easypic v5 of mikro e is dam close to my home.
let me try to reach him whether he has or could manage a copy of firmware.

elektor magazine may 2008 wrote - "Hardware fans will like to know that the complete schematic and board layout of EasyPIC5 may be found on the CD in the kit."

perhaps you have access to it on the CD that you have. please post the ICD section sch and it helps me study and suggest further. No wonder that same CD might have the firmware hex either.

Last edited:
Hi Eric, good to hear from you mate. I can certainly take pics of the board. Any specific size, place etc? By the way if you are looking for the schematics side of things I have complete ones for the EP5.

Al

hi Al,
I was curious to see the extent of the damage and see if it's fixable.
We could take from there if its repairable or at least get a second opinion, you have my address.

Eric

Hi to all, Just found the schematic, knew I had it somewhere.

Al

Attachments

• easypic5_schematics_v102.pdf
    77.9 KB · Views: 521
Open MikroProg and look for the device.... If it isn't there re-install the driver... If this doesn't work then the pic18 IS faulty.... I would be tempted to load a pic18 with a bootloader and try an put new firmware on it!!
Hi Ian, Where do I get the new firmware from? I have the CDs but nothing on there and I have asked ME for it but been told they don't have it. I'm sure they are being truthful there! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back