Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hand Moldable Plastic Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its heat sensitivity could be an advantage. I use Woods metal to fill thin-walled tubing that I need to bend rather sharply. This moldable plastic might serve the same purpose and be cheaper.

John

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by "Woods metal" but yes you could fill the tube with stuff and then wait till it cooled, then bend it, then remelt it and get it out of the tube for another use next time.

The heat sensitivity would be good in some apps and not good in other apps, it's as simple as that. It's fast to use though.

Wood's metal is a bismuth alloy melting at about 70°C (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woods_metal). It is not very malleable, but it suffices for what I use it for. Some people use sand for the same purpose, but sand moves and you have to plug the ends of the tube well. Also, sand will embed into soft metal and is hard to completely remove. I have had and reused the same 5# for many years.

John

Hi John,

Ok that makes more sense now. And yes you could try this stuff and see if it works for your particular tubing. If the walls are not too thick i would think that it would work. Let me know if you try it i sometimes need to bend small tubing too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back