Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

#*%@ Had it with Model Sim

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownOut

Banned
I spend the whole day downloading, configuring and attempting to run Model Sim. At first, I couldn't get it to link to Xilinx design libraries. I tried every thing I could think of, and everything I could read off the web. Nothing. And since I'm not a paying member, I can't even read their FAQ's. Then, I finally set it up to run under Xilinx ISE, and started my simulation. It ran slooooooooooooow, and the output didn't update as it was running. When I halted the sim so that I could see the output, the tool locked up and I had to restart. I'm going back to Isim, Xilinx's integrated simulate. It worked right out of the box, ran fast, updated the waves window in 'real' time, and didn't hang once, on many sim runs.

ModelSim just plain sucks!

Last edited:
I've never used it before.

Do you have an old computer?

I've quickly looked at their site and I couldn't find any minimum system requirements listed.

I've had a chance to calm down a little now :) I considered it might just be too much simulator for my computer. It's not old, but not new either. I have been able to run ModelSim successfully on some code that doesn't use Xilinx libraries, but what I can't understand is why it won't link the libs. I set it up exactly the way it should be. But I wouln't be surprised if it started working. It seems that each time I try to set up software, it takes a couple tries before it starts working.

However, Isim seems to just work better for Xilinx designs. It's faster and doesn't eat up computer resources. It just don't have alot of bells and whistles, which I didn't need anyway.

i use model sim... overweight buggy piece of crap... simulations might be ok but the user interface is a stupid script interpreter that wants 400M of memory for a relatively basic circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back