Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

H bridge motor driver fed by current source SMPS is OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,
Is it the done thing to supply a 750W fuel pump motor with a 25 Amp current source switch mode power supply?
That is, the fuel pump motor is a Brushless DC motor which is driven by a H bridge, which in turn is supplied by a Current source SMPS...(the output of the SMPS is 25A maximum at 32v).
They say that the current source is partly adjusted by the tacho feedback from the motor....via a Frequency to voltage converter which goes into an error amplifier feeding the SMPS.. so the faster the motor goes, the more current is delivered by the current source SMPS.
What I am wondering is, do the engineers know what they are doing?....I mean, surely all one needs to drive the fuel pump motor is the H bridge driver?...why are they wanting to use the current source SMPS upstream of the H bridge?
Is this a common technique?

Sounds odd to me... Surely the motor speed is controlled by the drive frequency to the H bridge, so that's what you'd want to control in your feedback loop - not the drive current.
The only thing I can think of is that the H-bridge is used to determine the direction of current (to generate AC for the windings) and the current-regulator circuit is used to shape the current profile within each half cycle.
Does that sound likely? I know naff all about motor driving mind you...

thanks, its the best account i've heard, certainly. Ive searched google and it says nothing, -there is something called a "current source inverter", but that appears to be just a motor with a inductor in series with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back