Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Group chatting requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

valve

Hey,
Is that possible to implement a group chatting module here :)
It will be good if person-to-person/group option is available. Just a suggestion.
Suppose time to time circuit/diagram upload option also available while chatting...;)

It's possible, just have to find someone to implement it. Yourself if you want to. Look up and learn what is required.

I personally can't handle voice chat for an extended period of time. Too much noise. It's hard to type therefore even a good typist will be able to spend more time thinking about what they're 'saying' than someone that is just speaking.

Are you talking about a "chat room" for the forums? That has been brought up before and shot down by many here.

I think it would be fun to chat with some of the folks here in real time, but some seem to think it would just end up being a place for lazy students to get homework help, and people to ask questions without posting them on the board for everyone to learn from.

Are you talking about a "chat room" for the forums? That has been brought up before and shot down by many here.

I think it would be fun to chat with some of the folks here in real time, but some seem to think it would just end up being a place for lazy students to get homework help, and people to ask questions without posting them on the board for everyone to learn from.

Yea, I am talking about chat module integration for the forum. 123flashchat is available on search. I have taken up a demo tour. Quite nice. Why can't these people integrate it to the forum?;)

Attachments

• chat.PNG
    chat.PNG
    119.5 KB · Views: 289

I've used chat of some other (vintage audio) forum and it was ok. I don't see where people could really object to it as you are free to participate or not as you choose, it's not forced on anyone, and if you don't look for it you won't find it.

Where I saw it implemented there was a lots of interest at first with lots of participants, but slowly over time it kind of downsized to a smaller hard core group. Also the chemistry of chat tends to make it hard for new people to jump in as it can appear as a kind of 'private group' of those hard core users.
By the way this was strictly a typing chat, no voice, no video, just real time typing and a scrolling window of messages.

Lefty

Last edited:
I would be all for a integrated chat room here. But I guess its up to the admin to decide to give it a try or not.

Again I would much rather see people agree to use voice on skype. I have little tolerance for text chating. It takes many times longer to transmit the same info.

The only thing I see going for text chat is that you can hide behind the text. Which could be a good thing if english is not your native language. With skype you can have voice people and chat people in the same session. Best of both worlds.

Voice is okay if you have somthing to do alot of talking about. I agree with 3vO that it is much faster, but for slow, casual chat, voice would be kind of ackward in my opinion. I room that offered a voice option might be the best of both worlds.

Personally, I never got the appeal of chatrooms. Seemed like a pretty silly waste of time, which I didn't spend much exploring. There would need to be almost constant moderation, since it's real time, and we have several banned topics, which seem to be quite popular. In the forums, we can close or delete such topics, remove links to pirated media, and so forth. Don't think we need that kind of abuse. How much bandwidth will be used? Will it slow down the site? Will it be spammed?

It's entirely up to the administrator of this site, and whether he thinks it a worthwhile addition, or greater headaches. Can always pull the plug later, if its not working out.

They can be/are pretty much a waste of time, most of the time, from my experiance. But its fun to chat, get to know new folks and just shoot the breeze somtimes. :)

I have seen some rooms that are built into forums like this, where the same login info is used. That way the chat account is attached to your forum account and if you can be held accountable better for any rule breaking in the chatroom.

I don't see the people here as being very abusive in the chat room. We are all pretty tame as far as I can see. Just like anything else, it would need to be moderated. There seems to be plenty of mods here, and if more help is needed, I would be happy to help keep an eye on it, as i'm sure a few others here would too. Most places I have seen these room, if someone is causing trouble, you just copy/paste the ofending content to a mod or admin and they can decided what to do about it. I don't really see much of that happening here.

I think if a few basic rules were set, it would all be fine.

1. No dicussion of the "taboo" topics. Could make a short list, but would mostly boil down to anything to help commit a crime or anything designed to cause bodily harm to people or animals.

2. Complicated questions should be posted in the open for all to see and input/learn from. I think it should be establised that the chat room is for conversation, not a place to pop in, ask a question and leave. As long as thats written somwhere, I don't think it will be a problem. No one is obligated to help anyone. And its pretty easy to simply suggest they do a search on the boards or on google, and also most rooms have a nice ignore feature.

I would think bandwidth consumption would be very low, but I am not sure on that one. Anyone care to chime in on that? Once the app is open, your just sending text, i can't see that eating up much. Voice would take more I would think.

I think this is a cool and very do-able idea. I would be happy to help with it in any way I can.

Please chime in here if you also like the idea so we can see if there is any more support. Its not looking good at the moment.....

I would like to see the feature, I think I brought this topic up at least once or twice in the last few years, not a lot of people really 'bite' on the idea, but if you just install the feature people that are naysayers may end up being ones that use it the most. Really depends on the people. Text chat only myself, I'm not so articulate in voice =)

I would like to see the feature, I think I brought this topic up at least once or twice in the last few years, not a lot of people really 'bite' on the idea, but if you just install the feature people that are naysayers may end up being ones that use it the most. Really depends on the people. Text chat only myself, I'm not so articulate in voice =)

Build it and they will come ;)

I know you people will come and take part once implemented :mad:

ETO has over 10,000 daily visitors I assume now. It is one of the most popular technical forum facilitates a sea of experts(Pacific? :D) in an area of that kind.

At a time an average of 50 members are discussing about technical related matters. Here comes the requirement of a real time interaction. I am not telling that the current system is out of date or anything. But a forum like ETO definitely requires a chat module for making up to date. Right.

I don't think moderation is required here. How it's possible. A certain rules will be followed same like in the current forum area.

123flashchat is just a result of my primary search. If the majority asks for a voice+text facility( again no response!!) that is the way to go. Voice/video transmissions demands higher bandwidth I say. Last two days I got a slowly moving response from the updated server. Reason I don't know.

I request Electromaster to make it operational and move on with timely upgradations of the popular website. As Lefty said "Build it and they will come". :)

My only worry about having a chat area is that problems will initially be posted on the forum and then solved in the chat area. This greatly reduces the value of this forum as a knowledge base. Will the forum end up with a lot of questions and no answers?

Mike.

chatting room looks nice. Lot of smileys to play with. Good matching to the site. I really liked it. This should have done before :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back