Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

give me a proj puleeze!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimB

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
OK guys now I have your attention.
It just occured to to me (OK I may be slow on the uptake), but just about all the requests of the "i want project" variety are:

Incorrectly spelt
Badly punctuated
Not using capitals in the appropriate place
Full of cool, brain dead, "text speak"
Wanting everything on a plate with no effort on their behalf
Needing it yesterday

I realise that some of these guys may not have English as their first language but come on, there is no need for this slipshod attitude in someone who has aspirations to be come an engineer of some kind in the not too distant future.

JimB

Nigel Goodwin said:
Perhaps they have Scottish as their first language? :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Sorry, couldn't resist!.

You could well be correct there Nigel, but be aware of one thing, I am not Scottish!

" Am from Donny, me. Tha noz weer that is dunt tha?"

JimB

JimB said:
It just occured to to me (OK I may be slow on the uptake), but just about all the requests of the "i want project" variety are:

Incorrectly spelt spelled-2 pts.!
Badly punctuated
Wanting everything on a plate with no effort on their own behalf incomplete word structure -2pts!
Needing it yesterday

I realise that some of these guys may not have English as their first language but come on, there is no need for this slipshod attitude in someone who has aspirations to be come an engineer of some kind in the not too distant future.

JimB

... and now that I have your attention, I agree with you! Sometimes, I wonder of not who, but "what" are we dealing with!!;)

JimB said:
You could well be correct there Nigel, but be aware of one thing, I am not Scottish!

" Am from Donny, me. Tha noz weer that is dunt tha?"

I see English still isn't your first language then? :p :p :p

And, yes, I know where you're from - not far from me, just over the border in foreign parts! :D

Incorrectly spelt spelled-2 pts.!
The Oxford English Dictionary offers spelt or spelled.

no effort on their own behalf incomplete word structure -2pts!
I believe that in normal English-English usage my version is quite acceptable. (Unless we have an expert here who can show otherwise?)

JimB

What about your dangling participle?:p ;)

Those kinds of posts annoy me too. Sometimes, if I'm in a good mood, I might contribute to the post by adding some ideas which they can look further into if they can be bothered. If they can't, then lot's of luck because I'm not doing their college project for them that's for sure!

Most of the time I just ignore posts like that altogether. I don't mind helping, infact I quite enjoy it. But no way am I doing a full project for someone just because they can't be bothered to do it themselves.

Brian

Scots, wha hae wi' Wallace bled,
Scots, wham Bruce has aften led,
Welcome to your gory bed,
Or to Victorie!

I am Scottish and I couldn't resist either.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person annoyed by this, even more so when people bump their threads just because no one has bothered responding or they make multiple threads.

JimB said:

Incorrectly spelt
Badly punctuated
Wanting everything on a plate with no effort on their behalf
Needing it yesterday

JimB

JimB, I agree with you totally. Personally, I woulnd't mind messages like these to simply be sent to the trash can as soon as they appear at the admins discretion. Keep all that garbage "help me please" junk off of here.

Of course, for those who do need help and are looking for ideas, those messages are ok and are EASILY discernable from the junk ones. We all know right away when someone legitimate wants to have a discussion about their problem (because they search, make some effort, describe situation and have clear questions)

I find most of these people have the attention span of a 2 year old ( that's how they ended up with nothing, close to a dealine .) So, my general rule is that they are one of the few times where, if you ignore it, it will go away.

PS, if I may, what in the $%#@ is with the massive, coloured, font's lately by the same type of people?

There I feel better. LOL

Coming from the position of someone who is just getting started, and frequently feels clueless when reading through threads - what exactly is "enough effort" before you would help someone?

I'm not an engineering student needing someone to do my work for me, but I am a hobbyist who is just trying to figure things out. The last thing I want to do is alienate people who *could* point me in the right direction by seemingly not making any effort. I commonly only submit help requests when I'm completely stuck, but given my level of knowledge on some topics, I wonder if this comes across as not putting effort into finding solutions.

With that in mind, any suggestions on the best way to approach a "help me" post to not put off people who are irritated by the "do my work for me" variety?

Choose a more descriptive title for the thread other than "help me", if your question is about transistors for example then say so.

In order to get help you need to show that you've thought about things properly beforehand and if you're totally clueless then the project is way beyoond your level of understanding so it's better to start off with a simpler one first, for example if you've never even soldered before I wouldn't recommend building even the simplest of radio transmitters.

HiTech,
You got my attention long ago, with that arrogant and abrasive sig. you are wearing. With attitudes like that, it is no wonder Kim Jeong Il launches missiles on July 4th. ;-)

I think the posters who use 'text speak' and 'l33t speak,' and who ask to have everything done for them are young 'teeny bobbers' who really feel they are being smart. I think many of them do in fact, have English as their first language. The faults in GUSP (grammar, usage, spelling and punctuation) I can navigate and make sense of. The arrogant demanding attitude, which says "do it for me," I cannot.

PDubya said:
Coming from the position of someone who is just getting started, and frequently feels clueless when reading through threads - what exactly is "enough effort" before you would help someone?

Very fair point.
As far as a hobbyist is concerned, I would suggest:

Bad Question:
Help me!
How does RS232 work?

Good Question:
Help to understand RS232
OK I get the idea about the transmit and receive signals TxD and RxD,
but what do the signals CTS and RTS do?

A lot of difference, and an enormous subject is reduced to something which can be simply answered in a few lines. (A complete answer could take several pages).

JimB

JimB,
I agree, but far too often, the 'bad' questions are more like:

i need a prog to talk to my pc it shud hav 4 buttons and shud put on the screen "my greatness" at 14400 baud. cud u send the src schem and info to my mail at...

Even with "how does rs232 work?" it is not too much to post some links to some info.

It really bugs me when someone wants the info sent to them personally, as it does not help others who read the forums.

Often a subject line with 53 exclamation marks after need help, is a warning.

BeeBop

Where is Suwon?
I have been to Ulsan a few times.

JimB

I have been to Ulsan a few times.
Wow, I'm surprised! Was that in 2002, for the world cup?

Suwon is about 30 minutes (if the traffic is not bad) from Seoul. It is just a bit south, and a bit west of Seoul. What may make Korea worth visiting is the ubiquitous (pronounced UB quote us in Konglish) cities they are building. One of them is in Youngtown, just 10 minutes east of here.

Robert

Let's be clear. Kim launches missiles anytime he feels like it for two reasons. He's a lunatic and there is nobody who can say no. He absolutely does not care what we think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back