Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gigaworks S750 gone boom (in a bad way)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I'm curious what you ended up doing? I successfully resurrected an S750 by replacing a bunch of old Capxon caps with nicer Nichicon and Panasonic caps (at the suggestion of this board here) and it was working for several months but then I heard a loud *pop* and have a scorched board in the same area. However my problem is the radial 47uF 25V cap next to the blue cap. The pop blew off one of the legs in fact (you can see pics of it here). Oddly enough, it was one of the capacitors I had replaced, though looking over my work I don't think I did a bad job. =/

Did you ever get it working again after replacing that capacitor? Have you checked the radial next to it (yours is still covered in heat shrink). Come to think of it, though I don't recall mine being covered in heat-shrink before, but could not covering it have caused it to blow? Amateur question, what's the reason for the heat-shrink? I notice a few capacitors are covered by it but not for any discernable reason.

Last question, do you know the board number of that capacitor? Part of my pcb mask was corroded by old glue and the number came off with it during cleaning.

It's not 470pF it's 470uF for 471 in e-caps.

It's also a big tradeoff between ESR and reliability and cost.
Get the lowest ESR possible you can afford.

**broken link removed**

Cheap capacitors are that cheap no temperature specification. I CAN TELL by the pictures some are puffy meaning they stated to leak got hot thermal runaway lucky or unlucky they din't blow. This is common occurance of cheap components on a power supply. If you can stand the heat put a finger to it you find them. HOWEVER your speakers maybe blown disconnect and measure the resistance any low resistance is good however a short or an open means the spaekers took a vacation south. you can search the net for capacitors size matter and voltage matters in your case physical size matter.
usualy a capacitor is labeled xxx mfd and xx volts try to get the same size or either bigger never smaller. ebay sell them electronic suppliers sells them MOUSER IN THE STAES WILL HAVE THEM FOR SURE

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back