Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

generating alternative energy from speed breakers(speed bumps)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djrulz

our grp is planning to make a project on generating energy through speed bumps by converting pressure into electrical energy
so as we got the result that it will need lots of mechanism and motoring work
can we use hydraulics of some technique
if there is any simplest way then pls reply:confused:(in hurry!)

if the energy gets absorbed by the shock absorbers some energy could be converted na

i thinging scientifically the energy can be amplified too using stored energy

but we want too know that how this can be done
which mechanism must be used for that........any mechanism or some thing

Last edited:
our grp is planning to make a project on generating energy through speed bumps by converting pressure into electrical energy
so as we got the result that it will need lots of mechanism and motoring work
can we use hydraulics of some technique
if there is any simplest way then pls reply:confused:(in hurry!)

The shock absorbers will dampen/absorb most of the energy from a speed bump,
do you plan to remove the shock absorbers from the vehicle.:confused:

I would suggest you redirect your energy into a more feasible project.:)

Last edited:
Also, the energy has to come from somewhere. In this case it comes from the vehicles. The vehicles get their energy from fuel. Someone has to pay for that fuel: the driver.

It's simpler just to tax the drivers directly. :)

I guess you could put the speed bumps at the bottom of a hill. Then some of the energy could come from gravity. The drivers might not appreciate it, though. :) They'd brake and waste the energy heating up their brake pads.

Torben

I hate speed bumps, but love your creative thinking. Hear is what I think that you could have. A 2000 pound car will run over a plate that lover itself 1 or 2 inches each time a set of tires rolls over it. So in simple the plate move two inches of travel at 1000 pounds of pressure for the front set of tires and the same for the back tires. Also the roll overtime is very short. (a part of a second) finding a device that can generate current with the specs above can be difficult. So maybe the plate can have a spring that takes a 1000 pounds to compress it. After the car is gone the spring would attempt to uncoil. The slower upward movement of the plate would have time to generate heavy current. (most of a second) The exact mechanism can be hydraulics or a gear train or bell crank to turn the very short 2 inch stroke into something longer that could generate a heavy current. Here is an interesting side effect. If the load is light the bump would softer. If the load is heavy the bump would herder. Oops I wrong! Would have to remove spring and generate current in the downward motion. Anyway some more thinking is required.

The fatal flaw in the design is that the actual energy that could be captured that way is surprisingly small. A few watt hours at best.

Heck yeah. Take the shocks off the car and fit it with a bunch of the little generators.

It was a bad idea 2 years ago. It has not improved with age.

3v0

Not what I had in mind, fit the speeds bumps with the generators. The car already has a generator, why add more? The bumps at work see a lot of traffic, and a few streets I travel to get there. Not sure if you can get much useful power this way, I have a few of those flashlights, and they don't work so well, but might be the batteries are gone bad (reason they were given to me).

i don't think it is a bad idea to use the suspension to generate usable energy but it isn't going to make very much which makes it less economically viable.

even so I like the idea in principle and wouldn't mind something where any movement of the suspension could be used to generate some form of energy. It might be something to be seen far into the future.

My current car uses a system called Hydragas which has been put on many british cars and is a passive hydraulic system. It takes the majority of the hit whilst the damper assists. Something like this could be adapted fairly cheaply but again I don't think much energy could come from it, but it could be related to the role of wind energy for example - it isn't reliable but when its there can have a good role to play as it would save gas if your alternator has to do less work (for example).

Indeed, a magnetic form of recovery might be the easiest but there could be a lot of wastage as if there are coils these may need to be energised which will use up energy rather than provide it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back