Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FYI: Feature Rich PIC18FxxK42 Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike - K8LH

I don't always keep up on new chip offerings from Microchip so I apologize if this is old news. It's nice to see some of the exciting peripherals found in the 16F series finally showing up in 18F series devices.

If you're into this sort of thing, the 800+ page **broken link removed** is probably worth checking out.

Cheerful regards, Mike

Definitely a series that has caught my interest recently as well. I have been thinking of trying out the 8kB SRAM variants such as the 18F27K42 once it gets released. There are so many different PICs out there that it can be hard to keep track sometimes.

Is there any kind of timeline available for when they plan to release the upper-end chips for the series?

Been waiting for farnell uk to stock , seems i missed it, but intend to have a couple 25K42 28 pin dips on my desk asap.. ( if I can find a little space )

Definitely a series that has caught my interest recently as well. I have been thinking of trying out the 8kB SRAM variants such as the 18F27K42 once it gets released. There are so many different PICs out there that it can be hard to keep track sometimes.

Is there any kind of timeline available for when they plan to release the upper-end chips for the series?

Have you tried the 24F series?.

I haven't done much with the 24F series, but I have done some work with the 33E series, so I am familiar with some of the 16-bit PICs. However, extrapolating from the prices, the 27K42 would be almost half the cost of a 24F chip with comparable RAM/Program memory such as the 24FJ128GA202 and still cheaper (albeit slower) than something like a 33EV128GM002.

The upper K42 chips also have 1kB of storage EEPROM, which can be nice for certain things. Each chip has its trade-offs I suppose, and I'm no expert when it comes to microcontrollers.

24 f is a great chip the MMC code configure is a great tool The tool lets you setup the hardware easy heck even I can do it.
I'm in love with Mplab-X code configurator It don't work on all chips but I sure helps on the ones it does
Dont take no time to be up and runing.

Problem with the K series is you wait until the erata comes out. Alot of what is in the datasheet always turns out to be optimistic in the end with the K chips. I am thinking its time to switch to the 24

I missed the DIA stores, that is something I think is pretty handy for alot of small businesses.

I'm a big 'fan boy' for PIC24Fxxxxxx lots of memory , pins , speed , and 16 bits sit nicely into C structures,
LG been over the new bridge yet , we Q ed for an hour :banghead:

I'm a big 'fan boy' for PIC24Fxxxxxx lots of memory , pins , speed , and 16 bits sit nicely into C structures,
LG been over the new bridge yet , we Q ed for an hour :banghead:
You have got to be joking!! Its over water! Besides I thought you had to have a passport on the other side now :p. Jokes aside I havnt been up there yet, but it is some engineering for sure. I love the way the average speed cams are in place for a while, should get some cash back in the pot fairly quickly ;).

I feel sorry for some the villages that have been affected, i know its a temp situation for most, but a few small businesses have suffered a fair bit. I wonder if they used a new paint coating technology?? I cant find the link now but there is a new nano paint about. According to what i read it would be a good match on the bridge, but cost wise i doubt it would save much.

Bridge very impressive ....
july2017.jpg

Meanwhile ... I just ordered a few PIC18F25K42 28 pin beasties... < 2 GBP each, probably make a dev board ( like I need another )....

I have recently ordered and received both 18F27K42 and 18F47K42 samples (DIP packages).

May I ask if anyone has played with the new SPI peripheral in these chips to produce a steady and uninterrupted NTSC or PAL video data stream? I'd love to use this chip to reproduce the relatively low resolution video output from an 'unobtainium' CDP1861 IC that was used in the COSMAC ELF (CDP1802) computer from way back in the 1970's...

Cheerful regards, Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike , Not ventured into SPI world with any PIC ! my K42 adventure is on hold at moment , gone back to PIC24 ..
( I made a RCA CDP1802 board in 70's but no 1861 )...

Hi granddad: I don't have much experience with the 1802 but I think it's a fascinating architecture. I figured out how to implement a "blind loader" for a 64K RAM system and I hope to order a PCB soon (see below). The parts, other than the PCB, are pretty inexpensive. I got some 1802's for 77 cents each and the 128K RAM chips were something like 61 cents each. Heck, the machined pin sockets cost more than the components (grin)...

Cheerful regards, Mike

Retro 1802 SBC #1.png 1802 4-chip #1.png

Last edited:
I'm rather bemused by the whole idea :D

Use a PIC as a support chip for an 1802, when the PIC on it's own VASTLY outperforms the 1802 on pretty well every count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back