Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fujitsu PDS4208 42" Plasma Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
How serious is it to have to replace a logic board on a plasma tv? Also, my plasma broke down about 10 months in...it has purple and red pixels all over the screen that don't change color, leaving a "spray" of discolored pixels on the screen. Does anyone know what this means?

Anything is serious on a Plasma TV, because it's ALWAYS expensive! - your discoloured pixels probably mean the PDP (the Plasma Display Panel) needs replacing?.

Hi,

I had a PDS4207E-H for repair a few month ago. Problem was Green light for 5s then red light blinking continuously. I managed to repair it by replacing the 4 SK's big mosfet next to the 3 tranformers and the SMA-Z1001 which are on childboards behind the mosfets. Also, I replaced the 2 smaller transistor next to the big mosfets. Plus, I replaced a butnr big resistor next to the upper SMA-Z1001's module.

This solved the problem (I found out that there where no voltages on the two uppers connectors going from the AC/DC power board to the DC/DC power board).

This tv was working ok till a wire glues by fujitsu on the video board came off, broking some pads of a big FDK component...

After that, I've found the same tv set which was also not working (in the mean time, I've sold the old one because I couldn't find a replacement board).

This Tv had the same symptoms so I replaced the SMA-Z1001 and mosfets + resistors. It worked for around one hour but the picture was totally white (only some kind of contrast when picture was very dark). It stopped working after 1 hour and now does not power up again (fan's start spinning for a few milliseconds then stops and after 5s, red light blinking...I've not tested the voltage due to lack of time buit I think my mosfets have gone again...).

Do you know if the white picture problem comes from video board or voltage adjustement ? Does it need voltage adjustments ? I've forgot to telle that the OSD is working fine (colors are OK).

Regards, Jerome

P.S : If someone need more help for the above mentionned power supply repair, just send me a message. Sorry for my english, I'm french...

For those who have the same problem,

I've found the solution. First thing to do was reset the VS and Va Voltages causing a to large current peak at start. Then for white screen picture but good OSD, the stupid previous owner of the TV which tried to repair it had removed the 3V regulator which was the reference for Video A/D encoders...

I find this missing component while tracking the video signals on the board (I think now, I almost know the whole main board / components due to this stupid man who removed a component without even replacing it or give it to me...).

Anyway, now the tv is working fine, no more problems with the power board (I(ve adjusted the voltages and put a 3W resistor in place of the burnt resistor).

If someone need some schematics or help, I can do it. Just send a message

Fujitsu Plasma Power Supply Problem

Dear Viruscrazy,

I was about to trash mine, but I just found this forum and your message.
Boy you are into it, your English is fine, we got the message...

I have the Model: PDS4221W-H, got it from work dead, same condition.
Solid Red light, hit the power button on the pull panel, green light for 3 second, small fans moves for 3 seconds and then red blinking light with a relay click, unplug/re plug the power cord and same thing again.
I unplug and re plug all the connectors, the TV turn on all the fans stays on.
My kids watched a complete movie, nice picture, after that I put the rear cover back, and the TV went to red blinking again.

I am looking at the middle circuit board, fans on my side.

I see only 2 SK's big mosfet (2SK2199) Q1, Q2 and then 3 small one, says
TH2, D21, D14 just behind the small fan.
Same side a bit farther there is another big D14 with 4 legs says (D25X860) close to a small transfer and 2 black relays.
The heat sink joins the other side heat sink that has 2 transformers red & blue, behind these transformers, I see Q 14, Q15, Q16 (K2847) and one
TH1 (67L105), please help me which one I should replace?

1-where is the MA-Z1001 which are on child boards behind the mosfets?
2- Where are the 2 smaller transistor next to the big mosfets?
3-Where is the butnr big resistor next to the upper SMA-Z1001's module?
Looks like mine is different model.

Let me know, I can send you the picture via email.
My email is zahidnet@yahoo.com
I really appreciate your help, kids are not happy now.

Regards,

Hi,

Unfortunately, your TV is different than mine. Did you tried disconnect all connectors going to the panel itself (All the power connectors that goes to the panel, if you have a photo, I may find them).

If the TV starts every time (I mean, the fans work for more than 3 seconds) when you have disconnected those connectors, then, try adjusting VS and VA voltages (there should be some potentiometers named "vra" en "vrs".
The fans may stop working after 10 seconds if Fujitsu have implemented a better protection system on their TV (on mine, the tv can stay on for a while even with PDP disconnected...).

If you still have the problem when PDP is disconnected, then problem will be with either power supply board (bad capacitor or protection circuit faulty), main board or loose connection.

Regards, Jerome

Fujitsu Plasam 42" Power Supply

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, tonight I disconnect/reconnect all 12 small circuit boards in the bottom of the TV, that connects directly to Plasma panel.
Disconnect/connect all the wiring connectors and all the bus connectors from each board.
View all the millions components with magnify glass....
The problem is still there, red blinking light and no picture, actually the each time the fans just runs for a second.
All the potentiometers have been also touched, no luck.
I have to find the bad capacitor now over the weekend.
I found out from work that this plasma panel was hardly used in the meeting room for the last 3 years or so.
Note: Last post check the attachment, there are three pics.

Regards,

sxpcb

PDS4208W-B Fujitsu 42" Plasma Monitor

if anyone is intending on throwing theres out please send me the na18100-300901 igbt or fet, big 32 pin thing with the heat sinks on either side,there is 4 in total, however I have the sevice manual for this model, it's very brief but helps. Mine has the symtom of tuning on for a second and red flashing light. I have traced this to the X-sus board and ultimatley the na18100-300901. I have removed the faulty module and now I can get a piture for about 5 seconds. The power supply doesnt go into protect mode anymore light stays green. But still useless until I can get one of these modules. Did you have any luck in making one lee?

I have posted the service manual but if it didnt work leave your email

Cheers
Justin

i got a fujitsu 42' plasma but it has the bnc video female end and it doesn't have rca input is their a way to get it to hook up to my vcr

Hi,

I have a Fujitsu PDS4229W-B plasma. The red light blinks continuously. I got a service manual from eBay. After following the trouble shooting flowchart, it is found that the PDP has to be replaced. Just wonder if there are some components on the PDP boards burnt which cause the power supply protector operated.

I've reset Vs, -Vy, Vsc, Va & Vw but this doesn't help. Thanks in advance.

Sino

In my experience Fujitsu are absolutely useless, not only can they not supply any spares, they can't even supply you a price on them.

Certainly the most common fault on Plasma's is the PDP failing, so it's quite likely that's the case - which means it's not worth doing.

Thank you for your reply. Fujitsu's practice is as poor as that of Samsung here in Hong Kong. I checked a washing machine with my aunt and found that the water inlet valve fails. Samsung insists on-site inspection before giving any quotation, i.e. charges us first, of course I can't get any parts from them. I've decided not to buy any more products from Samsung.

Back to the plasma, Justin77 suggested that the problem might be due to NA18100-300901/NA18100-300911 failure. As I do not have the schematics, it's worth a try provided that these components are cheap.

Thank you for your reply. Fujitsu's practice is as poor as that of Samsung here in Hong Kong. I checked a washing machine with my aunt and found that the water inlet valve fails. Samsung insists on-site inspection before giving any quotation, i.e. charges us first, of course I can't get any parts from them. I've decided not to buy any more products from Samsung.

Back to the plasma, Justin77 suggested that the problem might be due to NA18100-300901/NA18100-300911 failure. As I do not have the schematics, it's worth a try provided that these components are cheap.

Fujitsu's 'service' consists of simply panel changing, so they don't provide schematics or individual spares.

Sony plasma with Fujitsu panel

Sony PFM500A2
Powers on - standby - red light
Comes out of standby green light
Relay clicks
Fans spin
Panel flashes on briefly with a buzz then extinguishes
Goes into standy with error code 12 - 22
The whole process automatically starts again.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Voltage readings
VS - 179.6
VA - 65
VE - 13
VCC - 5
VW - 170
-VY - 164
VRS - 1.49
VRA - 1.96
VRR - 2.98

The buzzing appears to be coming from part listed as NA18100-300911 - a large black heatsink - there are 4 of these in total, 2 on each side of the rear panel but only this one is buzzing.

I am not completely convinced that this part is at fault but perhaps more that there is insufficient power somewhere but need confirmation of the above voltages.
Many people state 12 - 22 is a Panel or power fault but this is as far as anyone seems to be prepared to say, or know.
Any further assistance in determining if this is in fact dead or otherwise would help tremendously, thank-you.

I have access to Sony Assist, but there's no manual on there - only a fault finding guide (which is a protected PDF), and that doesn't seem to mention any fault codes.

I have recently fixed my Fujitsu P42HHA10AS 42" plasma which had a similar problem.
Would run ok for periods, (sometimes 30 mins, sometimes 2+ hours), picture perfect. Then it would randomly fail - with loss of picture, then shutdown. Front panel led indicator goes from green (normal) to flashing red continuous.
After switch off, removal and re-application of power it would often re-start and run normally for a while.
Sometimes it needed to be allowed overnight to cool before it would run again.
I also noticed that the failures generally coincided with any change to the screen display mode or input mode settings.

Fujitsu service supplied service manual and Service Bulletins regarding this problem :-
Service Manual P42HHA10 is available at
fujitsu P42HHA10W Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics

Service Bulletin PDP 0040-01 Main Digital pcb see Fujitsu 42 inch Plasma Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics

Service Bulletin PDP 0068-01 Main Digital pcb see Fujitsu 42 inch Plasma Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics

Service Bulletin PDP 0035-06 Main Power pcb see Fujitsu 42 inch Plasma Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics

Worked through the service manual checks (service manual very basic- overview / DC voltages only - assumes availability of replacement modules). The troubleshooting flow charts lead you nowhere helpful.
Could find no fault with the power board, except that the 6.5V(nominal) was actually 7.4V at CN351 Pin12.
Added 2x Schottky diodes (1Watt) in series with the transformer 6.5V output winding - this lowered the output voltage to 6.6V. - However, this made no difference to the continuing fault condition.

This units problem was fixed on implementation of Service Bulletin PDP 0068-01 Main Digital pcb.
No other faulty components were found.

The mounting solder on the main processor socket was cracked on one corner at the pcb mount point. (See last picture in PDP 0068-01, page 2)
Re-soldered same, and the set has worked faultlessly since.
I became convinced over time that the fault was to do with the main processor board, as the failures were so random, and the set would otherwise run perfectly.
This fault is caused by a combination of solder fatigue, vibration and the thermal cycling of the pcb over time.
I expect it is a cause of many of the reported problems experienced on these Fujitsu plasma displays.

I expect the PDS4229 model would share similar modules to the P42HHA.

Note.. The above work should only be attempted by suitably skilled person/s, as very fine soldering and knowledge of electronic pcb repair techniques are required.

here is what i have servicemanual wise for this model set if it is of any use for you-but do not attempt repair unless you know what you are doing with this sort of set as mistakes will be very expensive board wise.....

Attachments

• fujitsu PDS4208_4209.pdf
    6.7 MB · Views: 2,771
Fujitsu Plasma P42HHA10AS repair

Thanks for your reply.
My P42HHA10AS plasma has been working fine for a couple weeks now, so I'm confident it's fixed.
One would not think a solder crack on the side of the processor mounting socket would cause the processor to become unstable - but it apparently did.

Evident symptoms resulting from an unstable processor are potentially many and varied, so I think if a Fujitsu plasma suffers from a recurring unexplained random fault condition or shutdown etc, first check should be the main digital board processor socket solder.

Regards,
JohnB

20/09/2009.
The P42HHA10AS 42" plasma repaired above again failed.
Symptoms this time were intermittent grid lines across picture (followed shortly after by complete loss of picture), including loss of any on screen display indications. Audio continued to work OK.
Green 'power on' indicator operated as per normal - no red alarm indicator.

Fault was again traced to fatigued solder joints on the main processor 48 pin socket.
The failed/fatigued solder joints were on the 3 to 4 pins adjacent to the socket mount fillets that had previously cracked.
(A couple of the pins could be observed to move at the pcb solder pad if prodded with the end of a pin- confirming broken solder joints).
It would appear, that when the socket mount fillet solder cracks it places extra stress on the adjacent soldered socket connection pins causing them to also fail.
Resolder the pins by flooding pins with solder using fine tipped solder iron - remove excess solder (and solder bridges) with soderwick braid - clean up and inspect under strong magnifier for inter-pin shorts. Take extreme care not to damage IC socket - if damaged the whole board is junk!
This is very fine work, & should only be attempted by suitably skilled persons experienced in electronic repairs.

Conclusion:-
When checking condition of main processor socket as per Service Bulletin PDP 0068-01, also carefully check condition of solder joints on socket pcb connection pins.

Note.. Main processor board can be removed by:-
1) remove main rear cover panel,
2) remove lower rear cover panel - to get this panel off, hex screws adjacent to the RS232, RGB1, RGB2, and other screws mounting audio and video sockets need to be removed, disconnect AC pwr input socket.
3) slide out RS232/RGB module,
4) disconnect & remove video3 component video sub-board,
5) remove main processor board electrostatic shield coverpanel- disconnection of some plug/sockets reqd,
6) remove screws mounting main processor board, unplug from mother sub-board & remove.
Re- assembly is reverse of above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back