Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Free Norton Antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

tansis

Found an odd quirk of WinXp or weakness in the software of a purveyor of popular antivirus software depending on how one looks at it.

As part of routince system maintenance I reload the operating system once a year to clear out all those niggly little programs that are transient and stay resident.. you know the sort of thing , horrid little pop ups that say " your free trial has expired " or please register your printer"

Anyhow , the norton antivirus had expired, or rather the weekly updates had and had been holding on re subscribing out co's funds were tight besides my ISP checks my incoming mail before I get it and the AV was still active and doing a fine job, provided no new viruses were about I could sleep easy. This time after I reloaded the operating system I figured I would reload the AV from scratch and therefore fool it into giving me 15 day free trial ( complete with new updates) giving me till the end of the month when I had for a fleeting moment some cash...

It seems to have dropped a clanger, the expiry date now reads 12 months from now, did not ask me to re enter the code and I've never given them my card details so they cant have a deduction pending on my bank balance....

thoughts anyone ?

have you reinstalled the OS, formatted the hard drive?
if not your clock just changed and the program did'nt reconize that.

Standerd reload of WinXP Home from makers restore disk utilising "Norton Ghost" software. Normal warnings followed .. back up any precious data to removable media...all data on HD will be lost. followed by thirty minutes of furious HD activity and a prompt to swap the CD ROM's over half way through the process. Machine is as it left the factory/ showroom and unmodified.

When I get a free day I shall repeat the process armed with some diagnostic sotware, but for now I am quite content to leave it be lol

danielsmusic said:
if not your clock just changed and the program did'nt reconize that.

Thats exactly what i did with $4000 3D rendering software. The trial version was for 30 days, so install it, and turn the clock back 3 years = instant 3 year and 30 days subscription.

Some apps get fooled by this.Some trials need an serial code to unlock them(the serial is extremly easy to come by on the net).I also find a way to play real arcade games for unlimited time.You just push the restart button and the game will think that it has never run.They have 4 times to run the game or 60 minutes of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back