Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Forum dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr RB

Is it just me or does the forum seem really slow lately?

Lots of regulars that used to post cool stuff seem to be gone, people like Atomsoft, Pommie, Burt etc and the new threads seem to be right down.

Is there a way to chart the new threads per day (or posts per day) for the last couple of years to now?

hi Roman,

I have not seen a slow down in the number of new Threads over the past few weeks.??

We a have number on new regular posters.

Eric

EDIT:
if you click the 'Quick links' there is an 'Top Posters' sub menu

Last edited:
Apparently I am not the only one who has perceived a slow down on the old regulars around here.

The Renewable Energy section has had a few points where it has hung for over a week between single posts and from what I have seen the Members Lounge has slowed down as well and a few other sections are slower than usual as well but I think a lot of that has more to do with the summer time and most people have better things to do than sit on the computer and fix other peoples problems or get hassled or ignored for trying.

Personaly I have just moved on to other forums as my primary interest.

Last edited:
I'm still hangin in here :)

It still seems slow to me, but maybe it's a perception thing. I just remeber getting on each day and seeing a lot more activity and more people making and developing stuff.

So there's no way to see the forum stats on activity for the last couple of years to now?

It still seems slow to me, but maybe it's a perception thing. I just remeber getting on each day and seeing a lot more activity and more people making and developing stuff.

So there's no way to see the forum stats on activity for the last couple of years to now?

hi Roman,
I would suggest you create a Thread on the Site Issues Forum, ElectroMaster may have the data you want.

From a Moderators perspective I have not noticed a decline in the number of Threads/Posts I have to read through every day over the past 12 months.:rolleyes:

The membership is growing at a very fast rate.

Some of the older members are not as active as they once were, but I have seen a number of new ones joining the Forum as 'helpers'.

Eric

hi Roman,
I would suggest you create a Thread on the Site Issues Forum, ElectroMaster may have the data you want.

From a Moderators perspective I have not noticed a decline in the number of Threads/Posts I have to read through every day over the past 12 months.:rolleyes:

The membership is growing at a very fast rate.

Some of the older members are not as active as they once were, but I have seen a number of new ones joining the Forum as 'helpers'.

Eric

Your words into god's ears!

I love that forum because of it's "family character". Family members have decreased (or don't show up) for some reasons out of my reach.

Threads are getting more and more "idiotic" (pardon, should mean "layman").

I can't handle a request telling me what to do about hot running cables on a DC motor without being provided details: motor voltage and power, cable diameter and power source used.

Moreover I guess all those posts are being diverted directly from electronis-lab to ETO right away because posters there don't get an answer to their problems.

Boncuk

Your words into god's ears!

hi Hans,
Not sure in what context the above quote is intended.??

OP's asking silly questions, very badly or whatever has and will always be with us.

Its the few OP's who ask an interesting question and also supply the necessary background information so that we can give a meaningful answer is what makes ETO worthwhile, IMHO.

Many of these capable OP's have moved on in their careers and are now helping others with technical problems.

With regard to 'family' some of the old timers do slip in a post from time to time.

We are bound to lose some 'helper' members but do get new 'helpers' coming to the front.

Some examples are: Ian Rogers, Alec, Winterstone, Jon Wilder, WTP Pepper

Eric

Last edited:
Compared to the other forums, this one is thriving. Most of the other 15 forums I visit are dead, with barely 3 new posts a week. And some of them represent the whole of India.
Most of them should close down and shunt their enquiries to one big Forum so the questions are answered quickly and by more responders.
At one time I got all new postings each day but this feature has been deleted.
The general activity of all forums has gradually reduced over the past few years, possibly due the gradual decline in technical requirements.
Everything is converting to “Plug and Play” where no technical knowledge is needed.

Everything is converting to “Plug and Play” where no technical knowledge is needed.

Moreover almost everything is converted "Ex and Hop". Repairshops don't receive service manuals from the manufacturers as I observe in Thailand.

Thais don't normally throw away technical stuff if it is still useful to some extend. Garbage disposals are full with almost new TV sets and no chance to repair them.

I guess the "fire and forget" system has taken over the civilian branch of electronics.

Boncuk

Moreover almost everything is converted "Ex and Hop". Repairshops don't receive service manuals from the manufacturers as I observe in Thailand.

Thais don't normally throw away technical stuff if it is still useful to some extend. Garbage disposals are full with almost new TV sets and no chance to repair them.

I guess the "fire and forget" system has taken over the civilian branch of electronics.

Boncuk

I see iPhone repair shops opening up these days. With the poor economy and the cost of iPhones there seems to be a resurgent of repair business.

I have not been on as often as I use to due to my career change into fire/rescue field, but I do still poke my head in occasionally.

Hi guys.

ETO needs to soldier on. Accurate advise only....that is what makes a difference from the others out there.

No guessing. Ever. That is why ETO will still be strong when all others have failed.

So, in other words, I have utmost faith in EVERY SINGLE member here. Including Mods. We have to pull together as a Team. And then the sky is the limit. Think about it Guys. Too good to be true ???

While some reports are coming through of Sites shutting down....ETO seems to be handling it....

People have the right attitude here.That is good.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Is it just me or does the forum seem really slow lately?

Lots of regulars that used to post cool stuff seem to be gone, people like Atomsoft, Pommie, Burt etc and the new threads seem to be right down.

Is there a way to chart the new threads per day (or posts per day) for the last couple of years to now?

Hi,

If i find that other people can answer the question i dont respond as quickly. Only if i have something significant to add will i reply myself. I also noticed that there has been less theory type questions, but that changes a lot anyway. And some people that seem interested at first lose interest for some reason after a while. It depends how interested they are in the first place i guess.

Overall though i find this is one of the most interesting forums for electrical stuff.

Last edited:
Generally, as MrAl points out, when a responder is answering a posed question with sufficient detail, there is not much cause for further input unless certain points require clarification or correction.

The theory questions tend to arise much more frequently just prior to 'exam-time'. And with that said the same, or very similar, theory questions get posted across many different fora by the same username. Some members visit these other fora and see acceptable answers being provided to our own 1st time posters, so conclude that there is not much point in wasting time by replying.

I do miss the valuable contributions made by the members listed by Mr RB and hope that they pop back in to give us updates, but we do have a regular influx of new members giving out helpful advice and I look forward to the time when they can sit back and share what they have been doing, rather than solely answering posts.

On the whole, rather than the forum dying, I see it as slowly growing and potentially producing some quite interesting content in the near future.

Thanks Eric for the suggestion, I won't post something under Site Issues as it's probably just an issue in perception and not something that needs to bother administarators.

Maybe it's a change in the nature of the new threads? As yourself, Bonkuk and MrAl said there is still a lot of good "helper" type replies to posts but I think what I have noticed is more like a drop in people making cool new projects, innovative stuff that had not been done before etc, and sharing the process and results.

It might be a change in the nature of forums now? Or equally likely something recession related as people may be working harder on (private) income projects and spending less time on fun hobby projects to share. I'm in that group myself at the moment, working hard on some pro work and not a lot of time left for fun hobby projects lately although i still try to squeeze in some forum time while cooking/eating or watching TV.

[MODNOTE]Deleted. Moderation is not to be discussed on the Forums[/MODNOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back