Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

forbidden titles

Should using a title with the word "help" in it be forbidden?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CynicalMan

Anyone using anything like "need help" or "can anyone help me" as a title for a thread should automatically lose one reputation square.

That won't help, as squares mean nothing.:rolleyes:

I do agree descriptive titles should be used though. It helps greatly if your searching old threads.

need help, can anyone help me suppress this title

I usually avoid the “need help!!!!!!!!!!” posts.

Do not read "Urgent!!!!!!!!!"

lol at: "This is not a school project but….my professor…due by Friday………..help with final project."

Let's subjects more technical

Unexperienced posters use them often (expressing what they actually need: help).

A search among subjects where "help" or "urgent" is the main concept, is useless even if the contents is interesting / useful.

Meaningnful subjects should be enforced and urgent made a forbiden word instead.

BTW, whether squares, stars or... you name it, I give just a dime for them. I am the same amateur I've always been in spite the "Experienced Member" degree imposed to me by a clever programmer at Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. :p

Last edited:
atferrari said:
I've always been in spite the "Experienced Member" degree imposed to me by a clever programmer at Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. :p

lol, yeah, the admin (or us) should come up with some more cleaver user levels.

I can't remember what they used to be.... wasn't there like "electronics god" or somthing cheesy like that about 2 or 3 years ago?

I don't think it would work anyway and would spawn more of those "Why do I have red squares?" threads. :D
Besides, what if someone had problems with MPLAB where it couldn't find the help file etc.... No, it is better this way so the lamers are easy to spot and avoid.

Hola kchriste,

I tend to agree. Language exists to express ideas so making some words taboo ones, has its risks. That's why, in the subject I would give the chance for help but no for urgent. Your example is a good one.

Two months ago I decided to start tinkering with CANbus using a PIC micro. For that I decided to read every meaningful post in the Microchip forum. Found that the subjects, 25% of them mean nothing. Consequence: I had to browse the 100% of the threads.

I never read anything including urgent in the subject.

I agree that non-descriptive thread titles should be prohibited.

I also think their could be a section for lazy students. It could be entitled, 'So you've been given a project and don't want to do any of the work yourself? If so post here.' and everyone could just ignore it. Even better it'd be great if the section would only allow you to reply to your own threads so others couldn't reply, even if they wanted to.

Last edited:
There are entire websites for lazy students.
They are in a country that is far away.
But the lazy students come here. Billions of them. Many can't speak or write English. They know only HELP, GIMMEE and SIR.

I think This April 1st we all should start our threads with Help Me. :)
or Urgent Plz

You can call me Bruce to avoid confusion.
https://listverse.com/humor/top-25-monty-python-sketches/
The Bruces sketch involves a group of stereotypical Australians who are members of the Philosophy Department at the fictitious University of Woolloomooloo, and all named Bruce, with a common fondness for beer and a hatred of “pooftahs.” Terry Jones plays a “pommie” professor, Michael Baldwin, joining the department and meeting his colleagues for the first time. Since his name is different from that of everyone else, Baldwin is given the moniker “New Bruce” to avoid confusion.

The problem is lots of them won't help themselves which is pretty easy to gauge from the first post, on most occasions.

Blueroomelectronics said:
I think This April 1st we all should start our threads with Help Me.
or Urgent Plz

I already have my april fools joke thought out. Hopefully it is as funny as i think it will be... either that or people will think i am really dumb... :p

Marks256 said:
I already have my april fools joke thought out. Hopefully it is as funny as i think it will be... either that or people will think i am really dumb... :p

Or, all your green squares will turn red.:D :D

Mike.

Pommie said:
Or, all your green squares will turn red. :D :D

Mike.

It isn't that bad... :) Just keep telling yourself that i am a good person... :D

How about simply checking the subject lines of new threads for common alarms like 'urgent', '!!!!!!!!!!', starting with "Help" and containing 2 words or fewer, etc. Then just fail with a friendly "Your subject line does not appear to be descriptive enough. Please describe the post in 10 or fewer words." or something like that.

Torben

Hero999 said:
The problem is lots of them won't help themselves which is pretty easy to gauge from the first post, on most occasions.

that's the downside of the google generation.

if you have a problem, do you ty to solve it, or just put the correct words into google and find someone who already has?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back