Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flowcode

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
An applicant for a engineering position where I work has mentioned he codes in flowcode.
How effective is this, I just did some research as I've never seen flowcode before, looks like it could be restrictive if the right blocks are not available.
Some industrial Plc controlers can be programmed in a remotely similar way, though with these the graphical blocks are machine function specific.

I believe flow code is where designers use psudo block diagrams to describe the organization required of the program while in initial stages of design.
great cow graphic basic was a flow designer that i used when i first started programming microcontrollers.
Basically he has used a program where he can drag-drop a shape in to the routine then fill the parameters and each shape is different instruction, ie a shape for FOR, a shape for WHILE, a shape for GOTO ...ect
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/flowcode-png.40502/

Pretty much what I found watching a couple if vids on youtube, I've been into microcontrollers for a long time and never heard of flowcode, I was wondering if its one of those here today gone tommorow sort of things, or whether its successful like arduino.

Flowcode has been around a while... The one I like is "great cow graphical basic" http://gcbasic.sourceforge.net/aboutgcgb.html

Make a change... I have been playing around with MIT app inventor for my android... It's a kind of flowcode but with blocks..

Hmm maybe I'm not right in saying this as I dont know it that well, it appears a little clunky, like basic on a beeb micro.
Yes I've messed about with the app inventor for android, thats pretty cool, its similar to the bbc microbit or whatever its called they gave away to schoolkids, I've never used one, but the ide looks fit for purpose.

ya for school , exactly, GCGB which I think Ian introduced to me when I started with PICs! Is a compiler for PIC, in it there are settings for the config bits, the rest of it are blocks, I imagine that other flow coders would be similar,. If he is saying flow code I imagine that would mean he may know how to set config bits and be familiar with structuring code, what this may not include is syntax and operators.

idk about app inventor, but i tried programming android using eclipse & java, definitely more tedious than windows desktop forms

Yes, I think I'll stick with mplab & 'duino ide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back