Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flip flops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do flip flop serve as temporary or permanent memory and state the reason why . Any one application of flip flops.please.Thank you in advance

Sorry, we don't do your homework for you. You have to show some work and we will then assist you.

i heard this from many peoples as you said above.This is not my home work question at all.while reading sequential circuits "flipflops are temporary storage elements"mentioned.In contrast to that years before i heard that 1000s of flipflops are used inside pendrive .so i confused whether flipflop is temporary or permanent storage device

in this forum how to personally message.Is there such option here?
Easiest method is:

Hit the picture of the member you wish to message and hit the "Start a converstion" button.

Then hit the "Start a new conversation" button.

Fill in "Conversation title" and then your message.

As to your post question, google "flip flop electronics explained". Start with the Wikipedia description.

Last edited:
i hit your picture which right of your picture but no such button called "start conversation" .all it have is profile page ,follow ,ignore.

Start Conversation.PNG

See it now?

I think I like this question.

It is easy enough to say that a standard flip flop is permanent storage for as long as it is powered properly. Or that it is temporary storage since it normally loses its established state when power is removed from it.

But to say that a "flip flop" is one or the other assumes knowledge that none of us have. They have played with ferroelectrics for some time to give standard flip flops some power up memory of their state prior to power off. I am sure that other technologies could be used to do the same. So a non-standard flip flop device could easily be permanent storage regardless of the power question.

But even on a more ethereal plane, what is a flip flop? It is only a flip flop while it is powered up. When it is powered down, it is no longer a flip flop. So by definition, it is permanent memory. Is this a philosophy question or a digital logic question?

This is why it took me so long to complete my computer designs.

JimW

Hi bhuvaneshnick,

Do you have the "Conversations" link in your user menu?

2014-08-30 18_31_41-Electronics Forum (Circuits, Projects and Microcontrollers).png

But even on a more ethereal plane, what is a flip flop? It is only a flip flop while it is powered up. When it is powered down, it is no longer a flip flop. So by definition, it is permanent memory

you said it is not flip flop anymore when power off ,then consecutively said its permanent memory .

Since it's a flip flop, it has 2 states, let's say A and B: when powered up (the A state) one output is off and the other output is on. When triggered, the outputs swap, thus the B state.

So, generally, whatever its state when powered down (really a no state condition), when the flip flop is powered up again, it exhibits the original A power-on state.

That's its "permanent memory".

Last edited:
1)oh you mean when B state is on before power go down.it will be in same state after power up(same B state on),right?
or
2)whatever the state it would be before power goes down it will be in his default state(A on) after power up,that default state is called permanent memory ?
which one is right .Thank you

I think the answer that the O.P. is looking for is the common interpretation: that a integrated circuit flip flop is not permanent memory. A collection of flip flops does not have the same state after a power cycle than they did prior to the power cycle.

As cowboybob said, the power up condition of a flip flop is always the same (although that generally requires a good design to make this so). Since it is always the same state on power up, it doesn't reflect what it was before it lost power. So, once again, it is not considered permanent storage.

Interpreting the power on state as a permanent memory state is not very useful. So while cowboybob's statement is technically correct, I don't think that the original poster should use that to answer his question as to whether a flip flop is permanent or temporary storage.

JimW

There are two types of memory ... volatile and non-volatile.

volatile memory loses its data upon the de-energizing of the circuit.

non-volatile memory retains the data when de-energized.

Magnetic core memory in the PDP/8e was non-volatile.

Flip flops are volatile.

EEPROMs are non-volatile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back