Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fairly simple vector problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalrain

But I can't quite get it...
Find the distance between two parallel lines;
L1: x=t-1 y=2-3t z=5t
L2: x=4-3s y=9s z=2-15s

What's throwing me is the parametric equations, I think. I kind of have trouble with them, so is there a way to just express these lines as f(x,y,z) instead?
In any case, I'm still having trouble with the distance, so any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

digitalrain,

I'm still having trouble with the distance, so any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sure, since both lines are parallel to each other, they are also both parallel to the vector[1,-3,5]. Take one arbitrary point from each line, like maybe what you get if you set t=0 and s=0. Then go to the link below and compute the perpendicular distance from one line to the other. Ratch

https://members.tripod.com/vector_applications/distance_point_line/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back