Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Explain how a center tap push - pull gdt works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with you, I get it now. I've been trying to understand your question, I'm not an Engineer or and EE student, I'm just a normal guy trying to do things that are way above my head.

I'm glad to have your input, this is really cool. I'm not sure what others have thought about it, it's possible they didn't consider it?

Thanks, DP

kv

Last edited:
The lack of a resonant cap across the trans means this is a driven rather than a resonant design.

Putting audio on the rt connection of the '3525 will cause the o/p to be frequency modulated, in turn causing the o/p of the transformer to change generating a sound wave.

The system would be more effecient is it was made resonant, however it would also be more complex.

Last edited:
The lack of a resonant cap across the trans means this is a driven rather than a resonant design.

Putting audio on the rt connection of the '3525 will cause the o/p to be frequency modulated, in turn causing the o/p of the transformer to change generating a sound wave.

The system would be more effecient is it was made resonant, however it would also be more complex.

You got me thinking look at this Thread ........ especially post #139, is this what your talking about?

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/competition-high-voltage-power-supply.132493/page-7

Yes thats the one.
I built one of those things, my original driven non resonant circuit pulled loads of amps and eventually killed the fets, the resonant (I think they call it a royer circuit) pulled 50ma without an arc, and a couple of amps with an arc, and the fets didnt change temperature.
The only thing is getting audio out of it isnt straightforward, fm might be possible if you shunted the parallel capacitance, allthoughthis would reduce efficiency as the shunt device would also dissispate some of the drive current, maybe you could interfere with the gate drive of the fets.
There are some smpsu controllers that are quasi resonant, one of these might be a good idea, although I suspect there will be a bit of messing about getting it to work well.

Yes thats the one.
I built one of those things, my original driven non resonant circuit pulled loads of amps and eventually killed the fets, the resonant (I think they call it a royer circuit) pulled 50ma without an arc, and a couple of amps with an arc, and the fets didnt change temperature.
The only thing is getting audio out of it isnt straightforward, fm might be possible if you shunted the parallel capacitance, allthoughthis would reduce efficiency as the shunt device would also dissispate some of the drive current, maybe you could interfere with the gate drive of the fets.
There are some smpsu controllers that are quasi resonant, one of these might be a good idea, although I suspect there will be a bit of messing about getting it to work well.

Maybe once I'm done, we can re-visit this concept, I think you might have something. This weekend I plan to re-rap my Transformer, then I'll throw it on the DV board. I'll take some measurements and put my findings on these threads I've created so I can close the Threads.

After that I'm open, sounds fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back