Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Evolution MK-7 midi keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

em2006

The "Evolution MK-7" midi keyboard is equipped with a MIDI OUT Connector, for connecting directly to PC sound card game port.
I want to connect the keyboard to input MIDI-IN a musical instrument equipped with DIN connector.
I wish assistance consisting in:
-What are the terminals used the connector's MK-7, for connecting to the computer, which is their significance,
-Schematic diagram of a device that allows interconnection mentioned, placed between the output of MK-7 and DIN input from musical instrument.
Thank you.

Attachments

• mk7detail.jpg
    mk7detail.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,308
Its intersting that the keyboard has a specific gameport connector. Most keyboards have the standard midi connector (din) which means one requires a gameport midi adapter. So ultimately all you have to do is make something that does the opposite :D

Gameport signals are TTL 5v. Midi is based on a 20mA current loop (I tihnk..) so there will be some buffering needed, either bipolar transistors, or logic.

For MIDI- > TTL one usually requires an optoisolator to convert the 20mA current loop into 0-5v logic level. ..but I assume you just want to convert the gameport to 'midi out'?

http://pinouts.ru/images/pc2midicable.gif
http://www.cryogenius.com/hardware/sbmidi/intrfaca.gif

Note: the above schematics are for connecting to a PC's game port. You want to connect to the devices thats pluging into this. So, swap pins 12 and 15 on the game port connector in the schematics. (so that Tx -> Rx, and Rx-> Tx). Midi OUT form the DB15 (MALE) gameport connector will be on pin 12. Pin 15 is for providing the keyboard with data. Also, you'll need a female DB15 connector....or just solder wires to the gameports pins if you can get inside the connector hood.

Blueteeth

Second edit: tihnk I got pin12 and pin15 the wrong way around, lol I can't remember which one will be 'dataout', so I guess you'll just have to try both.

Last edited:
I remember evaluating these keyboards for the UK's biggest retail company back in 1995. Ahhh the memories.

And yes some of them used to come with the 15 pin gameport plug.

Sorry to reply so late, the reason being a little vacation for a few days without a computer. Thanks for your help.
I looked inside the instrument, I saw that only 3 of the connector terminals are basically used:
8 (red wire),
5 (black wire),
15 (yellow wire).

Attachments

• mk7-1.png
    mk7-1.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,962
The keyboard is midi out only, so ony uses two pins - the third powers the keyboard with 5V from the game port - so you would have to provide a 5V supply for it.

Sorry to reply so late, the reason being a little vacation for a few days without a computer. Thanks for your help.
I looked inside the instrument, I saw that only 3 of the connector terminals are basically used:
8 (red wire),
5 (black wire),
15 (yellow wire).

As I said in my first reply, assuming the keyboard is powered with its own power supply (which it probably is) you can use the three lines from the game port connector to convert it to standard MIDI out with a small driver circuit. Using either transistors, or some simple TTL logic. If the keyboard has no power input, and it uses the power from the game port (unlikely) then you'll need to power it externally.

The 5v will power your driver circuit, and pin '15' (which is MIDI OUT from your keyboard) is the signal.

I have attached a small schematic which should do what you require. You can either use a female DB15 connector, or remove the connector form the cable from the keyboard and solder it directly.

Blueteeth

Attachments

• DB15toMIDI.png
    DB15toMIDI.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 3,449
I have an Evolution MK-7 midi keyboard but no software CD. Is there anywhere I can download the necessary drivers to run it with Windows XP SP3?
The keyboard was a present years ago and I've never used it but would like to now. Trouble is I can't find the CD or any trace of downloads available.
Can anyone help? - I'm not too technical so if you could keep replies simple!
Cheers

Drivers needed for Evolution MK-7

Sorry, seem to have posted this twice, so have deleted the second one.

Last edited:
I should add that I couldn't use it due to not having a game port, but have now used a joystick to USB converter, and the power light comes on when plugged into a USB port, but nothing else happens. I have Midi Studio Generation 6 software and wondered if this would work with it.

I only described it as a joystick plug as I was told that was what it was. But it's on the end of the lead from the midi, so maybe it's a midi gameport? It has two rows of pins, top row 7, bottom row 8, and the adaptor I got says SuperJoy Box 7 USB Game Port Adapter. It has a switch labelled P - W - S [three positions], but no idea what these are for.

Further to the above, I noticed the power light comes on when unconnected to anything, so is self powering [battery?]. Is there any way I can find a driver for this as all the listed drivers on the company site are for later models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back