Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EV Inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animesh Shaw

Hi all,
I have a 3 phase AC induction motor for EV application, whose rating are 310V, 400A, 233Hz, 172 kw. The power is to be provided by the DC battery source.
So I need to convert the DC into AC with the help of Inverter and this AC has to be feed to the VFD for gating the required frequency.
This is the right approach I should follow or VFD alone can do both the work of Inverter and frequency control.
Please help me in finalising my approach to feed the power to the above rating motor from the DC battery pack?

Thanks in advance.

Those are fairly basic questions for a complex high power project.
There are 2 ways to get the 300+V, on eis to use an inverter to step up battery voltage from whatever it is to the 300V, or connect enough batteries in series to get the correct voltage, the latter is much more efficient and less complex.
If your making a one off it may be possible to modify an existing industrial normally mains powered 3 phase motor drive to operate from the battery source.

Just agreeing with all the above. The VFD will just rectify the AC into a DC link anyway so if you have enough batteries in series you dont need to worry about an inverter.

Hi all,
This is the right approach I should follow or VFD alone can do both the work of Inverter and frequency control.
Thanks in advance.
A VFD usually consists of a rectifier, some DC-link energy storage (C & L) and a three phase inverter with a controller for motor speed / current / position

This is a college assignment, so post your best effort to solve it, so that we can give guidance if necessary.

I have moved this thread to the Homework Help forum, as that seems to be a more appropriate spot for it.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back