Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Esr meter in qst magazine 2014. Help if anyone gets it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Beeson

I built the esr meter in qst April 2014 magazine and having a problem with the led for leaky cap. The problem is there is not enough voltage differential to "trip" the Transistor thereby letting LED to illuminate.

Without a schematic, it's unlikely whether anyone here will be able to help. The contents of QST magazine is copyrighted by ARRL, and so it's not available on the Internet to non-members of ARRL.

I'll see if I can get a snip of the schematic this afternoon...

Sorry... This is the schematics for the esr.

Attachments

• IMG_20140504_095628.jpg
    IMG_20140504_095628.jpg
    979.6 KB · Views: 4,806
Not sure about this circuit, but I'm always leery of any project in the April QST.
This is the issue where they pull April Fool Jokes on the members.
I have been a member for over 50 years, and remember many April issues that had projects that appeared interesting, but were totally not what would work.

Lol well if it is a fool joke then I'm a fool. No its really a project. Everything works with the exception of LED. And it tries to work but just not enough voltage to trip the Transistor "on" ..... The Transistor is not reaching saturation. Sounds simple but the solution is eluding me in this particular schematic . I think the 15k (r19) may be a 150k. But my math could be wrong. Getting 2.24volts at Transistor. But only . 61volts differential. So if any one can help i would seriously appreciate the help.

Lol well if it is a fool joke then I'm a fool. No its really a project. Everything works with the exception of LED. And it tries to work but just not enough voltage to trip the Transistor "on" ..... The Transistor is not reaching saturation. Sounds simple but the solution is eluding me in this particular schematic . I think the 15k (r19) may be a 150k. But my math could be wrong. Getting 2.24volts at Transistor. But only . 61volts differential. So if any one can help i would seriously appreciate the help.
Welcome to ETO, Paul Beeson!

At what leg of the transistor (base or collector) are you getting 2.24volts? And the 0.61volt differential is from what to what?

I am assuming that you're testing the circuit with the probes shorted. Is that correct?

Emitter - 0
Base - . 6
Col. - . 02

2.27v @ (r19)
2.27v @ pin 1 (u2)

Yes leads shorted.

My thinking is r-19 should be 154k not 15k.

The collector value of 20mv makes no sense. That value should cause the LED to be at full brightness.

Increasing R-19 will not help. If anything, try reducing it.

What is the value at the LED anode? Is R-20 correct (68 ohms).

Is the LED installed backwards?

If you lifted the R19 side that goes to pin #1 and connected that R19 side to +4.5, the LED should light.

You can also short the collector and emitter junctions which won't harm anything and the LED should be on.

Practical joke projects in magazines I find pathetic.

Assuming you have not fallen foul to such a thing try doubling or tripling the value of r14 and r15 (they need to be the same) to increase the gain of the circuit.

I built an esr checker a while back, it uses a transformer from a dead pc power supply, the o/p is around 0.2v so it doesnt force semi's into conduction, so you can reliably check caps in circuit.

There is a better ESR circuit in ARRL's QEX mag last year...

The datasheet for the 2N3904 and for almost every other little transistor shows that it needs a base current of 1/10th the collector current to completely turn on.
The LED current is about 36mA (enough to burn out the red LED) if the transistor turns on completely so the base current should be 3.6mA but the actual base current is only about 0.1mA so the actual LED current is maybe 1mA (who knows since the resistor values are wrong?). R20 should be 120 ohms for an LED current of 21mA and R19 should be 680 ohms. Then the value of C6 should be much higher.
I did not calculate how well the R19 and C6 filter smooths the squarewave.

I'll bet the author intended the use of a Red LED which has a forward voltage drop of 1.9V to 2.2V, and you are using one that has a Vf of 3+V?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back