Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESP32 module

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

Hi,

Got one of these little boards to have a play with as they seem to offer such a lot in a small package including 16 pwm channels.

Only had chance to read up on it and try out some of the PWM last night using the Arduino IDE with C++.

Found this ytube helpful in getting the Arduino ide set up for the ESP32 board.

Be interesting to hear what other users have done with it.

IMG_0752.JPG

000449.jpg

I got a couple to play with, not done anything with them yet, other than install on Arduino IDE and run a few of the demos.

As I see it the main advantage is the multiple ADC inputs, as the normal ESP's only have one - it does of course have more I/O as well, but by the same reasoning it's also considerably larger :D

Arduino IDE
From what I see in the video: Programming on the ESP32 is done in Python 2.7 only. I am trying to learn Python 3 and probably won't go back to 2.7.
Arduino IDE with C++
You are using C++. I did not know that works.
Can you use other compilers?

I down loaded Arduino and looked through the list of "IOT" options trying to find out what modules and what compilers work together. Hurt my head. lol

From what I see in the video: Programming on the ESP32 is done in Python 2.7 only. I am trying to learn Python 3 and probably won't go back to 2.7.

I down loaded Arduino and looked through the list of "IOT" options trying to find out what modules and what compilers work together. Hurt my head. lol

Hi,

Well am only just beginning with ESP32 but from what I have read you can use several languages with the chips, Espressifs own, Lua, Python, Arduino C++ etc.

As can be seen from that Arduino ytube it needs Python as well, so expect its running somewhere under the front end compliers like Arduino C++ ..?
Seems v2.7 is recommended as they say v 3 has some compatability issues with ESP32 ...??

Have got a lot of testing to do to see how compatible with standard Arduino examples it is, have tested pwm but seems you cannot use the standard analogueWrite , you have new routines as the ESP32 analogue has more features.

Expect analogueRead will be similarly different as the ESP32 is 12bit instead of 8bit.

eg AnalogWrite( LED,255)

ESP32

setup
ledcSetup(ledChannel, freq, resolution);
ledcAttachPin(LED_BUILTIN, ledChannel);

loop
ledcWrite(ledChannel, dutyCycle);

Plenty of code examples come with the download of the ESP32 package shown in that video.
( did try a different video originally but it did not load in correctly, the one above did)

000455.jpg

You can add the ESP32 to the Arduino IDE, just as you can the ESP8266 - as with any processor, it can be programmed in many languages. Just use google to find how to do it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back