Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic circuit that send sms---help please, I am new on forum---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marko1702

Hi
First I apologize if my spelling isnt correct, I am from Croatia and I am not so good with spelling English language.
I am new on this forum and I am interested in making this circuit but I dont know a thing about microcontrollers and things like that, because I have never made some circuit that includes microcontroller. Can somebody please explain me the best he can what do I need to buy and how does it work?

Thank you very much,
Greetings,
Marko.

You already have a computer, which can send SMS for free, using a Gmail account.

I wrote a python script which runs on my work computer at the office (always on) every morning; It uses the MECHANIZE module to log into the web page of my highway toll account, parses out my account balance from the HTML code, logs out, logs into my google email account, and sends me a SMS-via-email to my phone with my account balance.

If you're open to the idea of using the computer that you already have, let me know, I will post more details.

But if you really feel like you need to purchase something, then you could get a raspberry pi and it could run the same script (assuming it has internet access).

Thanks for an answer, down in the text are two links, do I need something more or just that ? and is this two links on ebay the things I need or something else ?

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Strantor thanks for the answer but I need circuit that will send sms if one switch turn on and gives him power. Something like that.

Hi
First I apologize if my spelling isnt correct, I am from Croatia and I am not so good with spelling English language.
I am new on this forum and I am interested in making this circuit but I dont know a thing about microcontrollers and things like that, because I have never made some circuit that includes microcontroller. Can somebody please explain me the best he can what do I need to buy and how does it work?

Thank you very much,
Greetings,
Marko.
You'll need, at minimum, a uC (Arduino Micro, for instance - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...o.TRS0&_nkw=arduino+micro+atmega32u4&_sacat=0
and (for instance, a SIM900 GPRS/GSM Shield Board - **broken link removed**.

Code for this system can be found here - .

I need circuit that will send sms if one switch turn on and gives him power
You'll also need to add some simple code such that the Arduino will respond to the "On/Off" condition you mention above and send the SMS.

Here's an idea:
if you've got an old phone, you could use it. There are apps for using old phones as remote monitoring surveillance devices, which send out SMS and email alerts. You could connect your switch to an LED and tape the LED over the phone camera. So when the LED turns ON the app considers this "motion" and sends you a TXT.

I don't know about you, but I've accumulated at least 5 broken phones over the past 10 yrs (still working, technically) that I could use for such a purpose. I suspect that isn't uncommon. If you don't have one, I'm sure you know someone that does.

Or, proceed to buy something online. up to you. Just trying to save you money.

The original Motorola Razr and likely the V3 would likely work nicely. The USB port gave you direct access to a GSM modem. I did some direct playing with the modem.

cowboy bob your answer helped me a lot and I see that you know what are you talking about so here is exactly what I need. When my switch is turned on and I send SMS or call arduino I need him to send me SMS "switch is turned on" and when switch is turned off and I send SMS or call arduino I need him to send me SMS "switch is turned off". How can I do it ? where do I connect that switch and do I need to create some code for arduino to do that or what ?

strantor that is good idea and I have tryed with old phone but I need something like arduino, thanks anyway.

I know, I get ignored.

Look here: https://www.diafaan.com/sms-tutorials/gsm-modem-tutorial/

This basically shows how to use a 3G modem to send SMS messages. The Motorola V3 is a 3G modem when you connect somthing through the USB port and the modem port has to be set to something in setup for it to work.

The 3g modem does't have to be a cell phone and only some will work. You can buy a 3G modem that either uses a serial or USB port.
You need a SIM card and a cell phone subscription.

If you can send an email and you know the carrier, you can send an SMS via the email system. It's like <phone number>@<carrier domain>.
The carrier may use a different domain for MMS messages and txt messages.

The problem becomes just how to send the email message directly. If this happens to be a home, you likely don;t have an MX (mail exchanger) record and a public IP addresss that doesn;t change, so you cant send email directly.

One of the questions was:
1) Do you expect to use a cellular modem?
2) Is this a domain that has an MX record and email server and do you have internet access?

I don;t have all of the answers, but those questions will help those that do.

At one point, I had access to a secure email server if I provided the right credentials, but I risked email being rejected because it came from an alternate domain.

Many API's (Application Programming Interfaces) in a lot of devices don't implement a secure email server and only allow port 25.

Your ISP doesn;t want a rogue program on your computer acting as an insecure mailer sending out SPAM.

... here is exactly what I need. When my switch is turned on and I send SMS or call arduino I need him to send me SMS "switch is turned on" and when switch is turned off and I send SMS or call arduino I need him to send me SMS "switch is turned off". How can I do it ? where do I connect that switch and do I need to create some code for arduino to do that or what ?

BTW, Marko1702, Welcome to ETO!

Thank you. Before we go much further, we need to know your level of expertise:

Do you have:
1. some electronic circuit theory/creation experience
2. wiring and soldering skills
3. any Microprocessor (uC) programming experience?

The basics of your project, as I understand it, are that you want to remotely monitor the condition (or "state") of a switch, i.e., is it "On" or "Off". I am assuming that the output of this switch is providing power to something.

If that is the case, you will need to create (we can help you with that):
1. a small circuit to convert that power to a level that one of the IO ports of the Arduino Micro (the uC) can tolerate. This will be the signal that will be used to cause the uC to "know" the state of the switch when it is attached to the uC.
2. The remainder is, essentially, attaching the GSM Shield Board to the uC and
3. programming the uC to recognize and then communicate the state of the switch, either automatically or upon request.

I must emphasis that this is a simplified list of tasks and that the project you have in mind is, actually, somewhat complex.

Hi,

Is this something like what you are looking for, more a ready made project or something to give you more ideas.

Attachments

• ARDUINO SMS CONTROLLER.pdf
    459.9 KB · Views: 346
I am sory I was out of country so i couldnt replay.
Keepitsimplestupid thank you for your replay but I am more interested in arduino because I want to learn something more about it and maybe sometimes I would use it for some other "project".

cowboybob thank you for your welcome,

Do you have:
1. some electronic circuit theory/creation experience- yes ,very much
2. wiring and soldering skills- I am very good at wiring and soldering
3. any Microprocessor (uC) programming experience?- no, I have never programed anything and because of that I want to learn it.

you have understand what I want but here is some quick sketch that shows what I really want

Wp100 that is something like "my project" but it is not the same, but it will help me so thanks :)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 336
Keepitsimplestupid thank you for your replay but I am more interested in arduino because I want to learn something more about it and maybe sometimes I would use it for some other "project".

It looks like you still need a GSM modem and cell service. All I was saying is that the RAZR phone contained a modem.

The other alternative that was kinda spelled out but probably harder is if you have Internet service to begin with.

Marko1702,

Could you re-post your picture? All I got was this (from a "snip"):
upload_2016-3-1_17-39-44.png

Only the short piece at the top.

Here is picture that I uploaded but it didnt wont to load, now can you all decide what is best for that because I really dont know anything about it so it is the same to me will I do it with arduino or gsm modem I will have to learn about it the same with the arduino and GSM modem.
Untitled.jpg

So, the important thing is to find a GSM, 3G or 4G modem and SIM card that the provider will accept. It's been suggested that a pre-paid plan is best especially since it's possible that the software could mess up. some providers may not allow the devices based on the IMEI number. So, shop around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back