Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EAGLE pcb software supposed to be easy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must select the "Wire" tool, then select layer 20 and set its width to 0.
This is to draw the dimension of your board.
It will be quite useful when you calculate its size and cost.
eagle1.png

Edit: Note that I have Eagle version 5.7, it may appear slightly different in version 5.8

Mike

Last edited:
tried the demension 20 etc but keep getting message when trying to move components around?
I get it highlighted but when I attempt to place it says I can't do that.

I am not quite sure what a frame would be used for on a PCB, I can understand its purpose on a large schematic to locate a part by giving its coordinates.
I have never seen a PCB with a frame yet. Does anyone know?

Mike

The free version of Eagle does not allow you to make your board bigger than 160mm X 100mm
You can only move the components within these limits.

Mike

Last edited:
After inporting the schematic into the board it looks like a bunch of tangles wires. Kinda frustrating trying to straighten them all out.
Any easy method to sorting out the jumbled mess?

If you have a small board it is better to route manual as auto route will use 2 layers.
On bigger boards I usually select auto route and then modify and I probably multiply the time I spend by a factor of 10 than if I was doing it all manual but I have a few of these bad habits.

These are the tools manual route on top and auto-route on the bottom.
eagle2.png

Mike

not done but getting there

Here is what I have so far. While not pretty with 45s etc it is looking better than it was several hours ago.
need to miter all 90s and get rid of the double trace on the bottom.
scrunch to save pcboard landscape. Should end up with 4 square inches.

Attachments

• cr 7_10_10.PNG
    cr 7_10_10.PNG
    43.8 KB · Views: 460
Hi MrDEB,

here is a correction of the PCB. I forgot to connect pins 2 and 6.

When routing traces you have several options of trace widths. You might also use a self-defined trace width, which you can put in by overwriting any given selection.

The examples show how to change trace width from 0.4064 to 0.508mm.

Regards

Boncuk

Attachments

• 1ST-PCB.gif
    1ST-PCB.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 600
  • TRACE-WIDTH-1.gif
    TRACE-WIDTH-1.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 439
  • TRACE-WIDTH-2.gif
    TRACE-WIDTH-2.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 398
The free version of Eagle does not allow you to make your board bigger than 160mm X 100mm
You can only move the components within these limits.

Mike

Correction: the limits are 100X80mm

160X100mm applies to the non-profit version.

Boncuk

Last edited:
If you have a small board it is better to route manual as auto route will use 2 layers.

Mike

Eagle routes on any activated layer in the autorouter menu. If you deselect "top layer" it will try to autoroute single sided on the bottom layer.

Boncuk

I am unable to locate the screen menu you show in your last post. Perhaps version or ??

puttering along with progress

can't get rid of the little green square on R5 or 6?
need to miter more 90's(menu that Boncuk posted is ??
How to determine board size?
IMO not bad so far considering the few hours I have spent trying to figure out different aspects of the program.
Next question DRC and ERC
Will ERC work in the board screen and what will DRC tell me?

Attachments

• CR combo eagle.PNG
    CR combo eagle.PNG
    46 KB · Views: 413
If you select one of the options just to the right of the layer when drawing a line, it will limit the line to 90 and 45 degrees instead of those interesting angles you have.

Attachments

• eagle menu.jpg
    eagle menu.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 413
I started looking for this menu as John posted but where is it?
Will look some more
All I have tn the area oindicated is a small grid of dots, nothing else to the right.

lost it again??
in miter I get a quarter circle. what kind of miter is that?
and this EAGLE is supposed to be easy? toooo many little options to deal with.
I try and delete but can't?
lots of little idiosyncrasies.

just about BUT?

I understand I have weird angles? etc. This is my first attempt at using EAGLE, at least this far.
Here are the files , maybe I can get some guidance as the attributes for angles does not compute? Doing something wrong.
I still need to drill two holes to mount board but determine exact position for using data sheet from PACTEC enclosures
well that didn't work?
Need to compress file or ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back