1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

EAGLE aquired by Autodesk

Discussion in 'Circuit Simulation & PCB Design' started by spec, Jan 2, 2017.

1. spec

spec Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Have you heard that EAGLE has recently been squired by Autodesk of AutoCAD fame.

I just wounder what implications that will have for EAGLE, although Autodesk have stated that a free version of EAGLE will still be available.

It would be great if Autodesk tidied EAGLE up a bit but kept it's friendly easy-to-use feel.

What do you think about this development- good or bad?

spec

2. KeepItSimpleStupid

KeepItSimpleStupid Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

It might be LIKE "Adobe acquiring Mozilla", which is NOT TRUE, but would definitely be detrimental. The new version of Flash Player v24 crashes multiple times daily under Linix and I don't ever expect a fix.

3. spec

spec Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

:) Adobe flash player crashes all the time full stop.

But Adobe's main applications are rock-solid, Photoshop especially.:cool:

spec

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  4. dave

Dave New Member

5. Pommie

Pommie Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

I've just checked Cadsoft's website and the educational version is back (6 layers 160x100). Looks like my .edu email address is going to come in handy. :)

Mike.
    P.S. found elsewhere,
    What does Autodesk think of Cadsoft EAGLE ‘s free with limited functionality version and is it something they see continuing in the future? Could there be more free editions of other Autodesk products?
    This is essential to EAGLE’s success – period. So yes, we will continue to make the freeware version of EAGLE available. We’ll also be zeroing out the educational license and making the 6-layer version available free to students and faculty for non-commercial work. We’ve done this in part to bring this into line with all Autodesk products (Fusion and Inventor for example are all free to students and startups making less that $100K / year) but also because the 6-layer license finally makes it possible for students to begin designing wireless (impedance controlled feed lines for example tend to be pegged against a plane layer) and likewise use more sophisticated memory busses (like DDR) which also require impedance controls.

• Informative Informative x 1