Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Drones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spec

Most Helpful Member
Drones are another technological area that is taking off.:D Because prices have dropped from thousands to hundreds, drones are now affordable by the average person.

In a very informative and interesting PBS America TV program today, the main theme was, do drones need to be licensed.

What experiences have you had with drones and do you think that drones need to be controlled- another pun.:D

spec

Drones are another technological area that is taking off.:D Because prices have dropped from thousands to hundreds, drones are now affordable by the average person.

In a very informative and interesting PBS America TV program today, the main theme was, do drones need to be licensed.

What experiences have you had with drones and do you think that drones need to be controlled- another pun.:D

spec

As a private pilot, flying mostly out of lightly used, non-towered airports, I have had several near-encounters with radio-controlled model aircraft during landing that were being flown by individuals who choose to ignore the code-of-conduct promulgated by the AMA.
So far, I haven't seen a drone, but it is really hard to spot something less than a couple of feet across when flying along at 100+mph.

I worry that as a group, the RC modelers are a lot more disciplined and aware of the implications of operating their models in airspace adjacent to airports than "the average person" who just got a drone for Christmas.

I hope they raise fines to 10k$ and a public flogging with a wet noodle or treat like anyone in the airport who jokes about bombs with inspectors.

just for those would-be drone flyers that ignore code of conduct and no fly zone around airports.

Of course every responsible buyer or gift giver ought to include the Rule book and take responsibility as hosts are responsible for serving alcohol to guests who drink & drive. It is the parents or givers that ought to be held accountable as well.

As a private pilot, flying mostly out of lightly used, non-towered airports, I have had several near-encounters with radio-controlled model aircraft during landing that were being flown by individuals who choose to ignore the code-of-conduct promulgated by the AMA.
So far, I haven't seen a drone, but it is really hard to spot something less than a couple of feet across when flying along at 100+mph.

I worry that as a group, the RC modelers are a lot more disciplined and aware of the implications of operating their models in airspace adjacent to airports than "the average person" who just got a drone for Christmas.

Yes, that was one of the aspects that was covered on the TV program. Apparently, there have been a number of close calls with airliners too.

spec

hi spec.
Have you seen this.?
It was in Lincolnshire this month.

E

Thanks Eric,

No, I hadn't seen that video, but I did know that Amazon has made a delivery by drone.:)

spec

hi,
I think that video was a composite, I don't remember seeing mountains in Lincolnshire.!!!:woot: 36 seconds play time.

I wonder what effect Zombie drones will have on you getting your package delivered.?
E

hi,
I think that video was a composite, I don't remember seeing mountains in Lincolnshire.!!!:woot: 36 seconds play time.

I wonder what effect Zombie drones will have on you getting your package delivered.?
E
:joyful: The highest mountain I saw in Lincolnshire was twelve inches.

Yes, there are many implications with using drones for delivery, not the least is theft. It would be dead simple to shoot a drone down and take the payload.:eek:

spec

It would be dead simple to shoot a drone down and take the payload.:eek:
.... and the drone itself would be a desirable toy. So when Amazon run out of drones the delivery service will stop. I suspect this proposed service could be just a publicity stunt.

.... and the drone itself would be a desirable toy. So when Amazon run out of drones the delivery service will stop. I suspect this proposed service could be just a publicity stunt.
Yes, those were my thoughts too- all good fun.:)

There are many useful uses of drones though: search & rescue, mapping, wild life preservation, weapons, maintenance, monitoring aggressive actions by governments during public protests, were just some of the areas covered on the TV program that I watched.

spec

There are many useful uses of drones though: search & rescue, mapping, wild life preservation, weapons, maintenance, monitoring aggressive actions by governments during public protests

More than 50 years ago, they were already used as targets for gunnery. Expensive, of difficult maintenance and prone to interference.

More than 50 years ago, they were already used as targets for gunnery. Expensive, of difficult maintenance and prone to interference.
Yes, I had forgotten about target drones.

At one missile site that I worked at, the military used to tow drones for target practice. If the missile actually hit the drone- rather than getting close enough to trigger the proximity fuse- the missile platoon had to buy the mess a couple of barrels of beer to celibate and, often, the damaged part of the drone was on display.

If the missile platoon hit the towing aircraft the celebrations were not so jolly.:D

spec

Yes, I had forgotten about target drones.

At one missile site that I worked at, the military used to tow drones for target practice. If the missile actually hit the drone- rather than getting close enough to trigger the proximity fuse- the missile platoon had to buy the mess a couple of barrels of beer to celibate and, often, the damaged part of the drone was on display.

If the missile platoon hit the towing aircraft the celebrations were not so jolly.:D

spec

To me, watching the firing even from a long distance, towing lines seemed always too short. Specially with crews that were doing the real thing for the first time.

To me, watching the firing even from a long distance, towing lines seemed always too short. Specially with crews that were doing the real thing for the first time.
Yeah, that was the impression I got too. Of course, the test missiles are not armed.

On the range the, 'Safety Officer' was king. If the missile went even slightly off course he would instantly steer it to a safe area or ultimately destroy it.

It was quite eerie, especially at dusk, to see banks of missiles, at rest at various angles, suddenly wake up and start following an overhead target from their launch pads, like flowers blown by the wind.:)

spec

"Skynet" ain't that far off...:nailbiting:

Read somewhere about a gun (pistol), that could be fired, being loaded onto a hobby drone.

Not against guns, just against guns on drones driven by morons...

A related topic to 'drone morons' are the 'laser loonies' that aim highish power laser beams at aircraft landing at UK airports.
In some cases causing temporary pilot blindness.

I guess these people must have the IQ of a parsnip.!

I guess these people must have the IQ of a parsnip.!
I must take exception to that comment!

Parsnips should not be denigrated in such a fashion.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back