Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DPDT Solid-State Relays - Why so hard to find?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand that logic. Why is analog (like the CD4016) better than digital when dealing with digital signals? Please expand on that reasoning.

John

Quality-wise it may not be. There may be no difference at all. I simply said that I might go with an analog switch because I already found one.

Hmm, I was thinking the NLAS44599 was 30 cents, but I must have been thinking of a different device. The 74ls153 would be a cheaper option, but after starting the design I realized I need two DPDT "switches". Now the question is whether to use one 16-pin device with analog switches on a board with little space, or use two 16-pin devices with digital switches on a board with little space? I forgot to mention, by the way, that I only have one I/O pin available to control both DPDT switches.

None of these will work until you define;

Speed, logic levels, source type; load , including cable impedance & length, EMI levels, need for isolation, crosstalk, Supply source& sequence on powerup

The name of the device you seem to be after is called a data selector, or a multiplexer. Here are some 4000-series ICs that allow 4 outputs and 4 pairs of inputs and a control line to choose which input is switched to the output:
- 40257 Quad 2-line to 1-line data selector/multiplexer (tri-state)
- 4551 Quad 2-channel analog multiplexer/demultiplexer
- 4519 Quad 2-input multiplexer (data selector) -- requires additional inverter

One point that has not been addressed is whether the data flow is unidirectional or bidirectional. If it's bidirectional, then an analog switch such as a CD4016, or analog multiplexer such as CD4053 is needed. If it's unidirectional then standard gate logic can be used.
I think the 4053 would likely address all of the requirements with a single chip.

I think the 4053 would likely address all of the requirements with a single chip.
Except that it's only three channels, and four channels are required (see post #21)

Right. What I should have stated was that a single 4053 will act as a DPDT switch. For two DPDT switches, you'll need two 4053's.

How about a CD4551 (quad 2-channel switch).

How about a CD4551 (quad 2-channel switch).

I'm thinking I would need a couple of 4551s, plus a couple of inverters in order to make that work as two DPDT switches. I may have to do something of that sort anyway, but still hoping for a one-chip solution. Then again, the one I already found doesn't require any inverters and it's got both DPDT switches in a single 16-pin package.

I'm thinking I would need a couple of 4551s, plus a couple of inverters in order to make that work as two DPDT switches. I may have to do something of that sort anyway, but still hoping for a one-chip solution.
The 4551 is a 4PDT analogue switch, so no inverters or extra chips needed. Here's a datasheet http://www.cmos4000.com/media/cmos/ic-cmos-4551.pdf
Likewise with the 40257, only a single IC is required. Datasheet here http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd40257b.pdf

Last edited:
The 4551 is a 4PDT analogue switch, so no inverters or extra chips needed. Here's a datasheet http://www.cmos4000.com/media/cmos/ic-cmos-4551.pdf

Ahh, that's the 14551. I was just looking at the 4551. Even so, I don't think I would need two chips, but in order to get the control on the 4551 to work properly (to swap the "positions" of two data lines), I would still need an inverter on one of the switches. The 14551 looks more promising (unless I'm completely misreading this, which is a distinct possibility. Since Friday I've been a bit under the weather and my brain hasn't been working very well :p )
Likewise with the 40257, only a single IC is required. Datasheet here http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd40257b.pdf

That's a thought. Going to have to look into that one....

Likewise with the 40257, only a single IC is required. Datasheet here https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd40257b.pdf

Hmm, was looking up this part, in its cheapest form it's a $0.75 device. Hoping for closer to $0.40 :p

Even so, it still looks like a good option. I'll have to speak with the purchasing department and my supervisor when I return to work tomorrow.

Ahh, that's the 14551. I was just looking at the 4551. Even so, I don't think I would need two chips, but in order to get the control on the 4551 to work properly (to swap the "positions" of two data lines), I would still need an inverter on one of the switches. The 14551 looks more promising (unless I'm completely misreading this, which is a distinct possibility. Since Friday I've been a bit under the weather and my brain hasn't been working very well :p ).
The 4551 and 14451 are the same thing (just from different manufacturers). I linked to the more readable datasheet.

Here's the data swapping circuit:
New Doc 10_1.jpg

Get well soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back