Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"Doomsday 2012"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
WARNING: I'm about to burst your doomsday bubble for all you doomsdayers out there............

There have been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar created it in 45 BC. Without the extra day every 4 years, today would be July 28, 2013. Also, the Mayan calender did not account for Leap Year..... so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago. Just Saying!!

Just had to post this :rolleyes::D

Last edited:
Interesting, but man, you got way to much time to count on your hands! E

Hahaha :D

I'm afraid I can't take full credit for this. I heard it from someone else and thought I'd share it. :p

No one gets all worried over every calendar found all ending on one magical day, December 31. Horror of horrors, what did the calendar profits know to have all calendars end on exactly that same day, does it mark the end of the Universe ? No, it's just time to go buy another calendar.

It's the same for the Mayan rock, who ever owned one just needed to go out and buy another. The problem for us is there are no Mayan calendar rock carvers about to provide a new one. ( a funny side note - that old worn rock can still be used to keep track of the next cycle, that's if no one already X'ed out all the days )

Last edited:
No one gets all worried over every calendar found all ending on one magical day, December 31. Horror of horrors, what did the calendar profits know to have all calendars end on exactly that same day, does it mark the end of the Universe ? No, it's just time to go buy another calendar.

It's the same for the Mayan rock, who ever owned one just needed to go out and buy another. The problem for us is there are no Mayan calendar rock carvers about to provide a new one. ( a funny side note - that old worn rock can still be used to keep track of the next cycle, that's if no one already X'ed out all the days )

Absolutely right Steaphany. I couldn't have said it better myself :D

The reason the Mayan calendar ended on December 21st was because the Mayans ran out of room on the rock! :rolleyes:

Every time I hear about the Mayan's having predicted the end of the world I shake my head in sadness at the gullibility of the human race... The Mayans did nothing of the sort. Their calendar doesn't even end.... !!!IT RECYCLES!!!

The Chinese zodiac calendar does the same thing every 12 years. Based on the information provided in the Wikipedia entry the long count calendar doesn't even run out of digits and completely reset for approximately another 62,118,162 million solar years.

Last edited:
WARNING: I'm about to burst your doomsday bubble for all you doomsdayers out there............

There have been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar created it in 45 BC. Without the extra day every 4 years, today would be July 28, 2013. Also, the Mayan calender did not account for Leap Year..... so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago. Just Saying!!

Just had to post this :rolleyes::D

Sorry to get all pedantic on you but that's not right. The Mayans had building alignments that directed the suns rays on the summer solstice (longest day in the middle of summer). The entire point of that (like so many other old cultures that did the same thing) was they could accurately align their official festivals, tax days etc with the actual planetary year and there would be no argument over what day of the year it was.

So the Mayan years would be exactly equal to our modern (leap adjusted) years. :)

As for the "disaster" I often have the cable TV history channel going in he background while I work, and have seen some feedback from experts on the Mayans and there is no evidence at all of any Mayan prediction of disaster. It's simply that the mathematical size of the calendar just happened to finish on 2012. Like the way our calendars just happen to finish on Dec 31st.

(edit) Sorry to say the same thing as you Scaedwian, we posted at the same time).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back