Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does the DALI lighting comms protocol require all to have RX/TX capability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's half duplex so it seems so.
My protocol removes latency compared to the DALI as it places the lighting sequence inside each device which is sync'd via a by a 10mS tick.

Thanks, how much current do the lamps need to be able to pull from the DALI bus in order to collapse its voltage down to zero for a pulse (bit)?
I hear 250mA in wikipedia of DALI but that seems an awful lot?

Well if 250mA is the max permissible drain and 2V is the mas permissible voltage drop for good signalling then you have a drive impedance of 8 Ω

You need to expand your websearching skills.....
https://www.bing.com/search?q=dali ...1N13ABE91C7D8F5&form=CONBDF&conlogo=CT3210127

It shows the biphase Tx and Rx protocol with opto isolation .

Designing a DALI application
DALI Manual | 08-2013 | en 59 / 93
Current draw of the DALI circuit
Each device in the DALI circuit consumes current via the DALI circuit. The total current draw on the DALI circuit must
not exceed the maximum current of the DALI power supply.
To determine the current draw of a DALI circuit both the current draw of the DALI devices and the current draw of the
DALI controllers must be taken into consideration. The current draw of a DALI device is defined in the DALI standard
as 2 mA. The current draw of the individual DALI controllers (ComfortDIM devices) is shown in the relevant data
sheets.
It is important that the current draw of the DALI circuit does not exceed the maximum current of the power supply. In
the case of DALI-PS and DALI-PS1 this is 200 mA.

Example: DALI circuit with 24 dimmable ballasts (PCA EXCEL), 3 DALI-GC and 3 DALI-SC
Current draw of the individual DALI components (from the data sheet):
Total current = Σ Current draw of DALI devices + Σ Current draw of DALI controllers
Total current = 24 x ballasts + 3 x DALI GC + 3 x DALI SC
= 24 x 2 mA + 3 x 6 mA + 3 x 6 mA = 84 mA

Maximum cable length
The maximum cable length depends on the maximum permitted voltage drop along the DALI cable; this is defined as 2
V max. Typically, this requirement is safely met for a cable length of 300 m and a cable cross-section of 1.5 mm².
Additional voltage drops at terminal points must be taken into consideration. For cross-sections smaller than 1.5 mm²
the maximum cable length is reduced accordingly
upload_2017-6-12_1-48-23.png

Last edited:
Thanks ..what none of the websites tell is what current the lamps have to pull from the DALI bus in order to transmit pulses back to the DALI controller....if the DALI is rated to 250mA.....then each lamp must be capable of pulling 250mA from the DALI bus in order to collapse it from 16V to 0V in order to send the low pulse.?

I guess you didn't catch my drift with my searcheresult link... TI chip shows TTL 74LS140 driver and receiver so you can compute current from that chip spec and others in circuit...I hope...

It seems they only acknowledge the command complete and not detect current with the 2R sense and do not verify the current is actually what the PWM should expect in average current.

(Although I when did a similar SCADA project in 1978, I actually monitored every incremental or absolute voltage or current setting remotely and displayed within 1 second on a long haul data link HP Computer LED display. 80 column (HP9825) in between frames of 200 sensor values...

There are more complete schematic examples and code examples if you look hard(er).

upload_2017-6-12_21-37-31.png

Thanks ..what none of the websites tell is what current the lamps have to pull from the DALI bus in order to transmit pulses back to the DALI controller....if the DALI is rated to 250mA.....then each lamp must be capable of pulling 250mA from the DALI bus in order to collapse it from 16V to 0V in order to send the low pulse.?

Last edited:
Thanks, this is our DALI TX/RX circuit, but our TX circuit , as you can see, could never draw 250mA from the DALI bus. I will look into you kindly supplied docs.
The DALI-TX drive voltage is just 2.5V.

Attachments

• DALI RX TX circuit in LED lamp.jpg
    DALI RX TX circuit in LED lamp.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 431
Also our software guy tells us that in order to implement DALI receiver capability in our lamp, the micro in the lamp needs to..
1.....have an oscillator running at at leat 16MHz
2....Have a random number generator function.
3.....Have the micro reading and writing to EEPROM....this he says is partly because the DALI librarys have to be stored in EEPROM.

Is any of this correct?

Thanks, this is our DALI TX/RX circuit, but our TX circuit , as you can see, could never draw 250mA from the DALI bus. I will look into you kindly supplied docs.
The DALI-TX drive voltage is just 2.5V.
The bus is intended for hundreds of nodes, so 1 will never do that.
The other requirements make no sense yet.

The other requirements make no sense yet.
Thanks, it sounds like maybe you concur with me that 16MHz is way to high for an internal oscillator of a micro thats running simple DALI dimming signals in RX only....(its just a simple dimmable lamp).....DALI is 1200bits/sec, so i think our software guy has made the micro oscillator way too quick at 16MHz?

The bus is intended for hundreds of nodes, so 1 will never do that.
Thanks, though there might only actually be one lamp on the DALI bus......we have DALI for our outdoor lamps. but each lamp has its own DALI controller which just broadcasts dimming signals to it.

Not its not that I dont believe the 16MHz its that people who specify without a spec for latency , PWM rate etc and any reasonable RTOS IRQ rate need to be given specs before they can say how to implement it. THe part thats makes no sense is you have no idea of the requirements but you are probably correct anyways that it could be done with less computing power, then then its cheap.

Say you wanted to sequence commands for continous hue and intensity or RGB at a latency rate of 1 ms with 128 steps then you have a spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back