Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does the cactus absorb the radiation from the monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananasiong

Hi all,
As titled, does the cactus absorb the radiation from the monitor? :D I've googled it, some say yes and some say no. Anyone?

Thanks

Which cactus?

Are you talking about Feng Shui?

Torben

[Edit: Kudos for creating perhaps the most surprising thread title I've ever seen on this site. :)]

Last edited:
I don't know. One of my colleague just asked me about this, and I googled it. I think not Feng Shui related, but not sure :)

theoriticaly I would say yes if we talking about x rays

as that on the other side of the cactus from the monitor the readings would be lower so some energy is absorbed in the cactus

but that's only my idea

I would advise to buy a lcd screen :D

Robert-Jan

Which cactus?

Are you talking about Feng Shui?

Torben

[Edit: Kudos for creating perhaps the most surprising thread title I've ever seen on this site. :)]

Morning Torben.
Perhaps its the 'spikes' on the cactus which are causing the interference.:rolleyes:

If the cactus did absorb radiation from the monitor [water content maybe.?]

It wouldnt be any benefit to the viewer, unless the cactus was in front of the monitor, not the best idea.:p

Last edited:
Morning Eric!

It wouldnt be any benefit to the viewer, unless the cactus was in front of the monitor, not the best idea.:p

Yeah, that would definitely not be good Feng Shui.

Torben

What if I used a picture of a Cactus as a screen saver.:D

The radiation would be emitted from the monitor but immediately be sucked back in by the cactus, and then. . .

Dammit, you're feeding the black holes again! ;)

Torben

What if I used a picture of a Cactus as a screen saver.:D

Hi Eric,

assuming your monitor has a screen size of 17" let the Cactus suck x-rays from the screen for a while. If it has grown big enough squeeze it out on top of the monitor and watch it growing to a 21" monitor. :)

Don't forget to wear heavy leather gloves. A Cactus retaliates unpredictably and without pardon! :D

Hans

theoriticaly I would say yes if we talking about x rays

as that on the other side of the cactus from the monitor the readings would be lower so some energy is absorbed in the cactus

but that's only my idea

I would advise to buy a lcd screen :D

Robert-Jan

No, because Wiley-Coyote was hiding behind the cactus ;)

I have a cactus tree, pachipodium, I can test it out for you.
Only thing is the pot has a diameter of about 60cm, and the tree itself stands about 1.5m tall.
Not sure how to get it close to the monitor.

If you're not sure what it looks like, here is a link to a photo of a very pretty tree:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2620371540058336098iKKRct?vhost=outdoors

Dooh, I forgot, I use an LCD monitor, oh, bad luck on that one.

While on the subject of the cactus, my particular tree is now getting too big for its pot. It was manageable when smaller to plant over, now it's a different kettle of fish.

So me and my dad stood discussing it one day. Bet you would be interested in his suggestion of how to replant it.

I have a cactus tree, pachipodium, I can test it out for you.
Only thing is the pot has a diameter of about 60cm, and the tree itself stands about 1.5m tall.
Not sure how to get it close to the monitor.

If you're not sure what it looks like, here is a link to a photo of a very pretty tree:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2620371540058336098iKKRct?vhost=outdoors

Dooh, I forgot, I use an LCD monitor, oh, bad luck on that one.

While on the subject of the cactus, my particular tree is now getting too big for its pot. It was manageable when smaller to plant over, now it's a different kettle of fish.

So me and my dad stood discussing it one day. Bet you would be interested in his suggestion of how to replant it.

Wow, kind of looks like one of my cactus. Mine is over 10 feet tall, but doesn't branch out like that. I've had it about 10 years now, the crown split into two heads this year, but still close together. When I first got it, it wasn't quite 3 feet tall. To plant it in the ground, I dug the hole, laid it on the ground and slip off the pot, used two old t-shirts as handles to lift and position it in the hole. Wish I had known it would get so big, would have planted it further from the house. Will post a picture later.

That's cool Harvey.

My dad suggested clapping my hands with the tree where my hands would meet. then it should be easy to pull it from the pot and move it to the new one.:p

You're right to first lay the pot down and rolling it to loosen the soil from the pot a bit. Best I could come up with is a carton wrapping to handle it.
I'm just so scared it would break, I've had mine also for more than 10 years now, but black frost nearly took it one year here in Harties.
I thought it was gone, then one day suddenly it started making leaves again.
Tough as nails.

Here are a few pics of my tall cacti. The bushy one got knocked over during a recent hurricane. The other one seems to have grown some, got a hunch its over 12 feet now.

Attachments

• P1010204.JPG
    P1010204.JPG
    286.6 KB · Views: 335
  • P1010205.JPG
    P1010205.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 340
  • P1010202.JPG
    P1010202.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
wow Harvey, that's the tallest Pachipodium I've ever seen.
I think mine is as small because it's stuck in a pot for its whole life.
Really need to get it into a larger pot though, soon.

I live in Florida, so very little chance of a hard freeze, rarely even gets down that low for a few hours. The spikes are murder, if you can get in the ground, it's your best route, otherwise probably best to keep it in the smaller pot. I had no idea what it was, or that it would grow so tall. It's only flowered once, think the squirrels made off with the seed pods. Mines pretty much stuck where it is, would need a crane to move it, and I think the roots would be to severely damaged if I tried.

I would also leave it there, chances are it will snap in two when moved.
But by golly, it's large.
You better get that plant some smaller cousins around it.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back