Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do you know what this part is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stilicho

Hello,

I'm repairing a remote control but I can't figure out what this part is. It is the big blue one with the black piece sticking out of it.
SD531252_zpsertgougr.jpg

SD531253_zpsjtccqrtq.jpg

The part is through-hole with 4 leads.
Do you know what this is?

P.S. I know the pictures aren't that great. I can take some better ones later.

Through the out of focus fuzz, it looks like an inductor or a transformer.
Curious though that what looks like the core is not loop around the coil, but just a bar in the centre.
Better pictures are needed.

JimB

Yes, the pictures are worse than useless.

I agree it looks like an inductor or transformer of some kind, so for a remote control it's presumably VERY, VERY old?.

Much better pictures needed.

These better?
SD531262_zpsrvc7zkfp.jpg

SD531261_zpsxkgs0xn8.jpg

The remote control is from the 80's.
There's no writing on the part. I thought this was a transformer at first. But, as I understand it, a transformer is normally two coils. So I should be able to get continuity between two of the four leads. And there should also be continuity between the other two. What I'm seeing is two of the leads are connected by a trace. That pair and the other two leads are all separated from each other by 100-300 ohms.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Those photos really aren't any better. Can't you get your camera to focus on the part, rather than on the background?

Considering that the part has 4 leads, I expect it's a transformer (unless only two of them are connected). Usually the core (the gray piece in the middle) is looped all the way around to direct the magnetic flux better. Can you see two windings with different sized wire (through the top translucent white part)? That would suggest a transformer rather than an inductor. However, it could definitely still be an inductor, depending on how it's connected. That would make more sense with the straight core.

Try Macro setting with Tulip icon. Shoot both sides.

This is just a large ferrite core magnetic coil.

Ferrite core coils are popular for AM radios tuners.

The slug is adjusted at factory then glued in place.

How will you determine which is bad ? Tx or Rx?

If it is just a remote switch, there are many replacements.

Last edited:
may be this is pulse transformer typo . can you tell this remote is for what type of appliance ?/machine ? it may help

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back