Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY pack 21.zip needed for micro pro k150 programmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have checked the vcc and ground at the pic it is low at 4.26 v which is what is coming out of the programmer.
Colin... Not a good Vcc , Laptop voltage should not be a problem with just a programmer and a PIC , problems are usually associated with excessive current from the usb to a populated circuit , I just measured a Pickit2 and a PIC16F627 in program socket, was only 60 mA , Suggest you need to power +5 Vcc externally .
When I first started programming PICs I used a Tait programmer with software that ran under DOS.
Les, I did that started me off with pics...

More importantly the new PIC needs to have a device I.d that is recognised by my USB programmer and supports low voltage programming.
the 84 will be recognised if you supply 5v and have the correct connections 84A is an 84 , I have never ever used 'low voltage programming' in 15 years

Colin,
I think a PIC16F84A should work without any code changes as it is almost identcal with the PIC16F84 . This is why granddad expected the PICKI2 clone would work with the PIC16F84. I think the only reason it does not work is that the device ID data does not match. This will not matter in normal operation.

Les.

This is why granddad expected the PICKI2 clone would work with the PIC16F84. I think the only reason it does not work is that the device ID data does not match. This will not matter in normal operation.
Spot on Les... actually I don't think I ever programmed a 84 with MC pickit 2, used Tait serial job, so i dug around and found one an 84 , guess what PK2 not recognised ! .... now it could be dud chip ( I had a few c**kups in my time )... 84A works fine. and is the same as for as code goes.
Apologies to Colin...

Colin... like this....
sche_dds.gif

I am eternally grateful to both grandad and les for all their help support and suggestions they are much appreciated. Grandad the circuit for the dds looks simple enough but why are there so many decoupling capacitors on the ra and rb outputs?

The asm files I converted in mplab IDE were downloaded in zip file format . I did a google search, for a dds signal generator with ad9850 qsl.net. If you go onto this site , you will see the circuit I am trying to burn the hex file to .As you can see in this design there are two pic 16f84 chips. One handles the code from a keypad , the other deals with rotary encoder ad9850 control and driving the LCD display.

The rest is merely low pass filtering ,level control agc and buffering of the output. I am curious , to where you found the other dds circuit shown in your last post. Did you ever construct this circuit ? If the offer still stands and you have two pic 16f84's or 84a's available , I would like to see if the code can be burnt onto these chips if possible.If you prefer me to send the two pic 16f84's I have , or merely send you replacements ,either way works for me. As I said before, I really do appreciate your and les's input on this, and do not expect you to do this for nothing. Please advise me either way , on what you would like me to do.

Last edited:
Hi colin,
Is this the URL of the website that you founf the DDS design you are reffering to ?
https://www.qsl.net/pa3ckr/signalgenerator/
Why don't you just buy 2 PIC16F84As as I have confirmrd that the PICKIT 2 (Or clone) will program them.
CPC stock them and have free delivery on orders over £5.00
https://cpc.farnell.com/Search?cata...ries&selectedCategoryId=&gs=true&st=PIC16F84A
I suggest that you get the 20 Mhz version in case you need it in future. (It is only a few pence more than the 4 Mhz version.)
It is not a good idea to put out details like your address or email address on any forum. In a case like this it is safer send a PM to the person you need to communicate with.
(The PM (personal message) system has changed it's name to something else. - There has been a recent thread on the subject.) It is helpful in many situations to give a rough idea of where you are in your profile. (For example just put Telford or Telford UK) Also it is helpful if you give the URL of the web page you are reffering to rather than expect other members to have to search for it.

Les.

I will consider my arse chewed up!! It isn't always what you say it is the manner in which you say it. I had those chips at hand and honestly thought I wouldn't have had a problem programming them. The website you refer to at the start of the last post is the correct one.

Colin ... did you enjoy being chewed ? happens to me all the time... I will post you my only pic16f84a-04 tomorrow , see how you get on programming it . would be more 'educational' to do it yourself .

Les Jones. don't think cpc have stock of 16F84A-20
Colin, some here click and collect at Argos 3 for £12 ish.
**broken link removed**

ETO members will probably think you / we are stuck in the past , but getting to grips with all the PIC complexities is a steep lerning curve, 84A is a start, then move on...

ETO members will probably think you / we are stuck in the past , but getting to grips with all the PIC complexities is a steep lerning curve, 84A is a start, then move on...

In a sense, 84 has more complexities than contemporary PIC16F1*. Over the years, Microchip have learned from their mistakes, so the newer ones are easier to deal with and much more robust too (harder to kill for a novice). People use the old PICs as 84 because they find them in Internet tutorials which are 10 years old, and, for some reason think they need exact the same model as described in tutorial. And they agree to pay 5 times more for these old behemoths. Go figure.

It's like using 40-year old car to learn driving - start with it and master double-shifting and once you do that, it's time to get to a modern car where you don't need to shift at all :)

NorthGuy, your right in what you say , But I think OP needs to get something working ,
Les , Just as well , can't get my Tait sw working on laptop( floppy drive " not ready " after 20 years doin nout... ) might bin it !

Colin... these 2 .hex files are ready to go into 84A ... good luck

Attachments

• P84A_keyb441.HEX
    964 bytes · Views: 196
  • P84A_dds36.HEX
    6 KB · Views: 209
I'm skint at the moment so haven't had chance , to order let alone program the 16f84a chips for my dds project. Just out of interest, does anybody know of a good tutorial about pic programming ,with reference to configuration bits that should be checked,versus bits that should have been preloaded into source code.

I'm skint at the moment so haven't had chance , to order let alone program the 16f84a chips for my dds project. Just out of interest, does anybody know of a good tutorial about pic programming ,with reference to configuration bits that should be checked,versus bits that should have been preloaded into source code.

Look at the datasheet. It'll list all the configuration bits and explain what they do.

You have a flair for stating the obvious !! Did you even read what I wrote in my last post ? On the data sheet and on countless other websites, it also claims that the pic 16 f84a ,does not support low voltage programming.

You have a flair for stating the obvious !! Did you even read what I wrote in my last post ? On the data sheet and on countless other websites, it also claims that the pic 16 f84a ,does not support low voltage programming.

That is true. PIC16F84A doesn't support LVP. That's certainly obvious too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back