Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY pack 21.zip needed for micro pro k150 programmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you both for your posts and your continued support.Will this hex file work with the circuit for the
DiY pic Kit 2 clone built by Dr dejeseuss on the dangerous prototypes forum / blog ? It uses a MCP 601 op amp and bs250 p channel MOSFETs if you manage to find the schematic.

Had a look at the dejeseuss page for the PK2 clone,,, this would seem to suggest it uses MC PK2 FW...
Quote " After completing the build, I programmed the PIC18F2550 with the PicKit2 firmware"
( hope your boards wiring is 'nicer' )

I agree with granddad. I think all of the clone designs will use the original Picki2 firmware. The clone I built was based on Tomasz Ostrowski's design with modifications to suit the components I had.

Les.

I make a point of condensing down and compacting wiring as much as possible.Designing rf oscillators and circuits require short leads and compact designs. So it is my understanding that as long as the programmer follows the layout of the original PIC kit 2 external components used aside the PIC kit 2 firmware will work with the pc18f2550 I have installed.

At the moment with what problems I have been having with a k150 programmer,I wouldn't care what the finished project looked like, as long as it worked and actually programmed a Pic of any description.

Yes . I believe in my skills and think there is more to be learned and gained, by building something from nothing and having the satisfaction of knowing ,it does exactly the same job as something that has been commercially bought. Also buying something already made lines other peoples pockets, when I haven't been spoon fed a living ,or rely on other peoples laziness to benefit financially.

You also have to balance the cost of the programmer,with how often it is likely to be used. I am relatively new to microcontroller circuits and still learning ,with regards to what is the simplest or best way of doing things. Which includes making my own mistakes and judgments about what software or hardware to use.

It is rewarding and enjoyable building something from nothing !!! It's even better when it work's first time as intended ,without any problems. I have learnt at my cost that it is false economy, to buy cheap ready made clones of programmers, that don't work as expected, waste your time trying to debug problems that shouldn't exist, in the first place. Building projects yourself is so rewarding, it inspires me personally to try different more challenging ways, of overcoming problems and at the same time learning in a productive enriching way. I hope this inspires others to follow in the same vain and don't be discouraged, when things don't work as expected or you run into problems.

Everyone has there own way of dealing with problems. The good thing is there is no good or bad way, only the way that works best for you, in order to achieve the results you expect, deserve and are willing to accept .

You also have to balance the cost of the programmer,with how often it is likely to be used.
Colin, I'm sort of agreeing with you on the DIY front, but as you move more and more into the embedded world , the electronics decrease and the software increases , I started with large boards full of TTL , and MSI ,and I knew what it all did. (still possible to do that ). My electronic interests now includes the code, but not from libraries ,my own stuff ( good or bad , only way to learn ) If you get to develop your own PIC ideas , you will find the programmer is going full blast most of the time, one thing is paramount , what you coded is flashed into the chip, you don't need any doubts about the programmer...
You didn't say how you are solving the chicken and egg problem , programming the programmer ?

Can anyone advise me on updating the device file dat file with my pic kit 2 software?
Pic kit 2 software application version 2.61.00, device file version 1.61.00 and os firmware version 2.32.00 . I am trying to burn a hex file to a pic 16f84 chip but when trying to select the device in the part drop down menu only the 16f84a appears. Please advise on what I should do even if it means reinstalling other software that's fine .

Pic kit 2 compatible programmer from etang on eBay. Programmer is recognised by pic kit 2 software target chip not recognised when read is attempted. I lived in Telford in Shropshire. Would really like if anyone in the area or indeed in the uk would like to participate in a community project to educate others and myself in constructing microcontroller projects,troubleshooting problems or if anyone has any knowledge worth sharing about pic software ,setting up hardware ,firmware updates etc.

Colin , there are many possible 'device not recognised' causes, but to get help you should include full info , PIC device , where is powered from , is it ICSP , a picture speaks a thousand words.
The members here have years of experience and are willing to share , check out the various ETO PIC tutorials and help forums.

I believe my problem is software related I was using pic kit 2 software application version 2.61 device file version 1.61 and os version software 2.32.00 on a windows 7 32 bit machine . The voltage from the vdd and gnd of the programmer has been calibrated at 4.26 v . The programmer I am using at present is a pic kit 2 compatible programmer purchased from etang in the uk on eBay. The pic 16f84 is connected with pin 4 Mclr connected to pin 1 of the programmer. Pin 2 vdd of the programmer to pin 14 of the pic .pin 3 gnd of the programmer to pin 5 of the pic. Pin 4 pgd of the programmer to pin 13 of the pic .pin 5 pgc of the programmer to pin 12 of the pic.the mclr pin also has a 10 k pull up resistor to the vdd also.

My pic the 16f84 is not being detected and is not listed in the devices supported by this version of the software. Also the programmer purchased ,did not arrive with any software or literature ,advising on what version of the pic kit 2 software to use. If an older version of the software is installed ,with a different device file list I'm sure it would solve my immediate problem,or am I barking up completely the wrong tree. The pic is powered from the programmer itself. Icsp hook up from pins on the programmer to chip itself.

Last edited:
Hi Colin... have you checked there is Vcc / Gnd power at the device. how long are the wires from programmer to PIC , is the device on a bread board. ?

This morning I found a PIC16F84 and tried it using my PICKIT 2 clone. It did not auto detect it and said something like "no device detected" when I manually selected PIC16F84A and tried to read it. With a PIC16F84A the auto detect worhed and it read the device. I think the software must read the device code and if it does not match something in it's database it does not work. If you have to use a PIC16F84 for some reason then build one of the simple old programmer designs such as the JDM or the Tait.

These test were with just the PIC connected to the programmer. (I.E. not in circuit.)

Les.

In answer to gran dad's last post it is on a breadboard and the wires are short.I have checked the vcc and ground at the pic it is low at 4.26 v which is what is coming out of the programmer.I have been made aware of low voltages generated by USB ports on laptops.

Also thank you to Les for trying out the dilemma I am in at present. I will try a different pic this morning just to see if it is a faulty programmer.The jdm programmer I am right in thinking that worked via a parallel port and not usb ?

The JDM programmer works with a serial port. It needs the signal levels to be +/- 10 volts so it can generate the programming voltages. It will onle work on desctop PCs wit a real serial port. Most laptops only supply levels of about +/- 5 volts. The Tait programmer uses the parallel port and requires an external power supply for the programming voltage.
I don't think the JDM will work with a USB to serial converter even if you add a circuit to increase the signal levels to _/- 10 volts. I don't think the Tait will work with a USB to parallel port converter.
When I first started programming PICs I used a Tait programmer with software that ran under DOS. (About 1993)

Les.

I need to make a decision .I don't have a desktop PC anymore. The PIC used in my circuit is a part that is old obsolete and hard to program without the correct hardware ( Pic 16f84 ). There is a replacement pic with similar if not identical pin out. The code will need to be changed to work with the new part. More importantly the new PIC needs to have a device I.d that is recognised by my USB programmer and supports low voltage programming. If I cannot get this pic programmed I will be using an arduino to control an ad9850 in a DDS signal generator .

To satisfy your own curiosity and all the wasted hours , and money trying to get this circuit working ,the circuit is a DDS signal generator with ad9850 QSL.net in a Google search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back