Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY audio scope - cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always surprised if something actually does take 7-10 days.
Usually it's 2-7 weeks.
In this case they had to wait for a re-stock and told us so.

I'm almost through assembling. The 19 TINY smd resistors are taking time. My hands are not steady and this is my first time dealing with these devils. It's a challenge.

OK, it's assembled and working. Yippie!
One nice thing they did to lower the SMD stress is they give you 1 extra resistor for each value.
I got lucky and did not need them.
The Banggood SMD station for ~$20 is worthless. It does not transfer heat. The tip will melt solder but touch it to a pad and it's useless. I used the Hakko 936 solder station (also from Banggood) and it did fine. Set temp to 275c and a pointed M900 new tip for the SMD work. No problem.

Now thinking about a case. I have panel mounting momentary switches.
Need panel mount 2p3t rotary or toggle switches. I think slide ones will be too much trouble to neatly install.

Well, it worked for 5 minutes. Now there is no trace. Other parts of the screen are ok.
There is simple trouble shooting flow chart but it did not help.

Edit:
I only lose the trace if I choose a time base of 50 ms or greater.
Everything is cool at 20 ms or faster. Hopefully that will simplify finding the problem.

Also looking for a Win XP USB driver for the device.

Updated firmware here:
http://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/Firmwares_138.php
Added read-outs for various waveform parameters including Freq, Cycle, PW(pulse width), Duty (cycle), Vmax, Vmin, Vavr, Vpp, Vrms. To turn on/off the read-outs first move cursor to the position of timebase. Hold down the [OK] button for 3 seconds.

http://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/UserManual_138.pdf

Here we go! Downloaded the source code and this is in the readme file.
0.37 2015.03.05 Fixed a bug that sometimes causes hang when timebase is changed from 20ms to 50ms

I can't get the usb driver from jytech to work so no hope of updating the firmware yet.

Last edited:
Mine arrived this morning, not sure when I'll have time to build it though :(

I can confirm that a number of the resistors are indeed surface mount, plus the opamp is as well (just from a VERY brief look at it).

First mistake for me was mounting the surface mount IC round the wrong way. Now waiting for a replacement IC.

OK, had a busy morning starting assembly, got as far as fitting the USB socket - having a rest and a coffee now :D

Getting a bit tired of wearing magnifying goggles :p

I took extra care to make sure the opamp was the right way round, luckily the instructions are very explicit about it, as the chip is a bit vague about pin 1.

The normal resistors are pretty tricky as well, as they are fairly small, and the colours aren't terribly identifiable - so I tested everyone with my Bangood component tester :D

Go back to it in a bit!.

OK, assembled and working :D

Trace seems rather noisy though?.

DSO.jpg

Nigel, on mine the usb port does nothing.
I'd like to know if you have success with it.

There doesn't seem to be any mention of the USB port having any function, presumably it's for possible future use?.

Interesting there's a later firmware update, that adds extra functionality, I'll have to see about getting a suitable USB/UART converter to update it.

So cheap. How do they do it? I would buy and build this kit in mention here but I require bandwidth a little better than 200KHz...
My next DSO is going to be **broken link removed**

Any good or bad news (or both) -- to share about it?

Good soldering, Nigel. What did you use for the SMD resistors?
Yes, it's noisy. I use two 18650 batteries to power it. Has not needed a re-charge yet. These batteries are SO useful.
Got the batteries, charger, two cell holder (with plug) and 20 tiny push switches from Banggood.
Cut the jumper on the battery holder and soldered a switch.
Banggood sells a serial2usb board. ~$6. Waiting for it to arrive and find out if I can program the scope.
The caps should clean up the square wave. Mine is ok.

Hi,

How long would you say it takes to assemble, from opening package to finally complete?

Also, what resolution is the vertical, is it 12 bits?
Also, what resolution is the display itself?

Hi,

How long would you say it takes to assemble, from opening package to finally complete?

Sorry, but I didn't time it :D

Probably about two and a half hours, which I split in to two sessions with a rest (and coffee) in between. It's fairly tiring, as you need to concentrate for a long time.

Also, what resolution is the vertical, is it 12 bits?
Also, what resolution is the display itself?

It says 12 bits in the details, and it's 320x240

Details here:

http://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/e138.php

Hi,

Oh, two and a half hours with coffee break isnt bad really, sounds good. Thanks for the info.
So with beer breaks about 18 hours then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back