Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Directly Measuring Ignition Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
This https://www.newark.com/vishay-gener...-5at/fast-recovery-diode-1a-1kv-do/dp/12M3636 would probably work for a diode. I'd put a little series resistance like <300 ohms or so. Diodes won;t fail if they are current limited. It also looks like you may want to capture the negative pulse.

The 1500 V ceramic caps that were used on old radios might be a good choice.

These https://www.toolplanet.com/product/...327&gpla=pla&gclid=CM2QqaGRibwCFUjNOgodkggApw might help too.

I have a lot of Fast Recovery Diodes "SHV-24" They are Rated at 24KV and 2 mA.
I can supply them For Free, Excluding Shipping Cost.

Chemelec it is great to see you.

I want to play around with the diodes I have on hand first. I have some very low vF ones but am not sure if they are fast enough.

Problem is I need to stop playing with the engines long enough to do this and I am on a roll. The running count for the Zombies will be six when I get some parts tomorrow. It would be one more but I ran into a bad valve guide and don't have the tools to replace it.

This is an old thread but this may be of interest --- a capture I did of the secondary ignition voltage waveform on a Briggs & Stratton single cylinder lawn mower engine with the solid state igniter. I used a Hantek HT25 secondary ignition probe for the capture.
briggs1j.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
I have the same probe, its been usefull.
Burn time on that plot is very short.

And this is a small pull start engine, of which I've never done this, maybe I will try it on my mower.
With multi cylinder motors you have a reference to go off, you dont have that with a single pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back