Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diode question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hupsenfg

upload_2017-10-7_10-39-4.png

Hi i think if I would like to find Vd and Id, i can replace the diode with a 0.7V voltage source. How then should I proceed to do this question?
Thank you

For Id, it should (5v-0.7v)/ 10k right?? Or we can ignore 0.7v

And Vd = 5v? After voltage divider

Last edited:
hi hup,
The question is misleading.
It asks for Vd, but it states 'assuming a practical diode', which suggests a diode with a 0.7v forward voltage drop.

The circuit diagram shows Vd across the diode, so Vd must be 0.7V

E

FIG.1
is't like 10kΩ || (10kµ+diodeΩ) -- where the first 10k & 5k likely can be considered as "primary voltage divider" and
the second 10k and the (BW or FW)diode as the secondary voltage divider for voltage drop on the first 10k ... PS! the foreward diode is usually some 2k55 ohms (i donno for this circuit . . . the LT Spice shows so at 5V total supply for 1N4148)

Last edited:
View attachment 108465
Hi i think if I would like to find Vd and Id, i can replace the diode with a 0.7V voltage source. How then should I proceed to do this question?
Thank you

It should be OK to give you the correct answer since a month has passed since you asked for help.

The diode will definitly turn on, because if it were off, there would be 20/3 volts across it. Use node analysis to find the voltage Vo. The equation is:
hupsenfg1.JPG

The solution is Vo = 4.825 volts

Next find the current present in the diode.
hupsenfg2.JPG

The solution is Id = 0.0005015 amp or about half a milliamp.

Note: If you gave me the saturation current of the diode, I would not have to make an estimate of 0.7 volts across the diode. I could calculate the diode voltage by the current present within it.

Ratch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back