Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

details of stepper motor used in floppy drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have tried already

Nigel Goodwin said:
I would suggest you simply connect the motor up, and see how it performs - bear in mind to get maximum power you need to run it at considerably higher than it's design voltage, and limit the current.

hi Nigel,
thank you.

i have tried it already this solution but motor was not rotating and it just heating up because of power for more time.
may be its step angle is too slow and that also i dont know.

am i on right track, sir?
if yes then i think we have to look for any other solution sir.

HiteshDR said:
hi Nigel,
thank you.

i have tried it already this solution but motor was not rotating and it just heating up because of power for more time.
may be its step angle is too slow and that also i dont know.

am i on right track, sir?
if yes then i think we have to look for any other solution sir.

How were you feeding it?, a bi-polar stepper requires two H-bridges to drive it (and obviously the correct sequence) - a LOT more complicated than a uni-polar motor.

Using L298 & L297 both

Nigel Goodwin said:
How were you feeding it?, a bi-polar stepper requires two H-bridges to drive it (and obviously the correct sequence) - a LOT more complicated than a uni-polar motor.

yes sir,

i have used stepper motor with the help of L298 & L297 circuitry.
i have checked with any one of these and both also but no ouput is coming.
its not rotating and just motor is heating up after few seconds.
is it possible sir motor may be not working properly.
this doubt cam because my floppy drive is old.

HiteshDR said:
yes sir,

i have used stepper motor with the help of L298 & L297 circuitry.
i have checked with any one of these and both also but no ouput is coming.
its not rotating and just motor is heating up after few seconds.
is it possible sir motor may be not working properly.
this doubt cam because my floppy drive is old.

You might check **broken link removed** which has some details?.

But to check your motor get two pieces of wire and a battery, and manually step the motor - you will be able to work out the required connections and sequence needed in this way - it would be VERY rare for the motor to be faulty, steppers are very reliable.

i have tried in this way

Nigel Goodwin said:
You might check **broken link removed** which has some details?.

But to check your motor get two pieces of wire and a battery, and manually step the motor - you will be able to work out the required connections and sequence needed in this way - it would be VERY rare for the motor to be faulty, steppers are very reliable.

I have checked the resistor between different wires of motor.
using this method i have assumed that the two wires between which i was getting resistor that is the coil.
i have got two pairs of coil in my motor.
by the way how can i check my motor mannually ??

HiteshDR said:
by the way how can i check my motor mannually ??

Just with a battery and a couple of pieces of wire - you have two coils, and two ways round you can connect them. You should be able to find the sequence that moves it either way - four steps required.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Just with a battery and a couple of pieces of wire - you have two coils, and two ways round you can connect them. You should be able to find the sequence that moves it either way - four steps required.

sir, i am not getting you.
can you please tell me in detail please.

by the way sir how can i check connect the four wire motor with battery.
and how can i test it because according to me its step angle is too small.
i am guessing because it's used for read/write head.
what you ar thinking sir...???

You simply connect the battery across one of the coils and the motor moves, the trick is to find the sequence that moves it in the same direction every time. If you can't see it move, then it's probably not moving at all.

Probably a bit out of his price range ... :D
Jeff

Thank you Nigel

Nigel Goodwin said:
You simply connect the battery across one of the coils and the motor moves, the trick is to find the sequence that moves it in the same direction every time. If you can't see it move, then it's probably not moving at all.

Thank you Nigel...

tahnk you to you all too..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back