Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing Schmitt trigger oscillator using CMOS NAND gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex_bam

Hello,
I am designing a Schmitt trigger oscillator based on a CMOS NAND gate. The block diagram along with schematics and its results are attached for your reference. I am using the CADENCE tool with 0.35um technology.

Question: it can be seen in the result, the charging time of the capacitor is large which affects the oscillating signal at the beginning. To reduce charging time I need to reduce the RC time constant but it affects my oscillating frequency. Once i reduce the RC time constant then i am limited to a certain oscillating frequency.

Oscillating frequency: f=1/2.2RC

How can I reduce the charging time of the cap (other than the RC time constant in my schematics) so that I get the least distortion at the initial stage of the oscillating signal?

Attachments

• mod.JPG
    mod.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 292
  • result.JPG
    result.JPG
    537.3 KB · Views: 288
  • sck.JPG
    sck.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 290
The enable signal has to go to the second gate.
Have the first gate running continuously to ensure that when the enable signal is asserted, you immediately get a pulse train.

Precharge "C" before enabling the OSC.
You'll need to tweak the divider values.

1611876038003.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back