Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC motor for charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

romans64

Hi all
Im a newbie in Aus who knows zip about electronics so please bear with me
Im after a mini- small 3-12v dc motor i presume can charge batteries when spin fast ? please correct me and let me know how to do right
But am looking for one attached to pnuematic drive, if i supply compressed air to drive it
Is there anything out there?
All assistance graetly appreciated.

yes a dc motor will produce voltage if you rotate it
but what size motor to use to charge what size battery
a wind turbine is more or less a dc motor(good ones are alternators)
and you would need a regulator
and the brush gear will wear not the best way to charge

As long as the output voltage from the motor is highet than the battery voltage, it will charge.

Problem is, there is a great chance for overcharging your batteries in lack of any circuit between the motor and batteries that can prevent overcharging.

Another problem that is fairly simple to overcome is that when/if the motor rpm goes low, the current will go the other way, that is the batteries will feed power into the engine. Solution is a simple diode in serie that make it possible for the current to go only one way. Then the batteries cannot feed the motor in a low-rpm situation.

How are you planning to use the batteries/motor? Ie. will hte motor become main powersupply ang having batteries as backup, or otherwise?
What kind of batteries do you have?

Different plan for use combined with several types of batteries tell it all how it should be. That is if you need adwanced charger circuit or if a simple diode is enough.

A SIMPLE DC motor will work as a generator. Beware that newer, fancier DC motors may be "brushless" and will not work as a generator. The more poles the motor has, the better.

A good, fairly efficient, multi-pole DC motor can be stalled with a short circuit at the output, which implies that you can damage them if the motor output is short-circuited and driven by a higher-horsepower source. Fuse or otherwise protect larger systems you build.

A Delco DC generator on the International Harvester Cub Cadet garden tractor was used back in the 1960s to both start the 7hp Kohler engine and then to charge the battery. It worked very well.

Dean

Propulsion unit for DC motor charging

hi
thank you all for that info i understand the basics now of charging
I spent the night working out how to charge + using diode for one way charge
Basically im want to charge 3-12 volt solid state battery for back up unit
But im really after a Motor that has a propulsion unit that runs of air
similar to air motor of compressed air but looking for miniature version
I you understand how a fish tank pump works it has motor diven air pump
In a nut shell i want to force air in the pump to rotate the motor hence charger unit
If anyone knows of anything out there thanks
cheers from the land downunder

hi
thank you all for that info i understand the basics now of charging
I spent the night working out how to charge + using diode for one way charge
Basically im want to charge 3-12 volt solid state battery for back up unit
But im really after a Motor that has a propulsion unit that runs of air
similar to air motor of compressed air but looking for miniature version
I you understand how a fish tank pump works it has motor diven air pump
In a nut shell i want to force air in the pump to rotate the motor hence charger unit
If anyone knows of anything out there thanks
cheers from the land downunder

Out of curiosity...where are you getting the compressed air...that you don't have electrical power to charge a battery...or am I just missing something completely?

Ken

Last edited:
Out of curiosity...where are you getting the compressed air

From a Meyers HHO cell, plus utilizing anti-particles and moving coils, inducing current into a larger gauge wire so the current gets bigger, which causes the air to speed up and be compressed.

Oh wait, I must have inadvertently moved from the myriad over-unity threads I've been reading here lately...

Never mind.

missing something

hi all
Im working in a hazadous enviroment where electricity is out of the q.
we have air storage and can pipe it
now i guess you understand more.
I want to recharge battery on transport equipment with air supply on board
while in transit
If that helps some one fine me mini dc motor with pnuematic drive attached out there

thanks all

Generally it's better, on these forums, to state your problem in detail, along with your solution. There may be better ways to achieve your goals than what you perceive as "the" solution. There are a lot for really experienced people here who would welcome the challenge to help you. I don't think I can...but once the problem is out there...you will get solutions! :)

And an elaboration of your "hazadous enviroment" might help. You are aware that DC motors of the type you are describing produce arcs as commutator bars pass the brushes. If the environment precludes electricity because of possible electrical arcs, you will be introducing a hazard.

Ken

Last edited:
Reading into it to much

Generally it's better, on these forums, to state your problem in detail, along with your solution. There may be better ways to achieve your goals than what you perceive as "the" solution. There are a lot for really experienced people here who would welcome the challenge to help you. I don't think I can...but once the problem is out there...you will get solutions! :)

And an elaboration of your "hazadous enviroment" might help. You are aware that DC motors of the type you are describing produce arcs as commutator bars pass the brushes. If the environment precludes electricity because of possible electrical arcs, you will be introducing a hazard.

Ken
Hi
all im doing is having a sealed containter with a dc motor charging a 3 volt
solid state battery to operate a 1mA pnuematic pilot solinoid
the charge is negliable in this instance to create a hazard with the precautions taken theres many more factors involed
like it willl onlu operate when a a certain distance from ignition sorce
and when a pre signal is given to turn on and other factors

ALL im asking if anyone knows of a DC motor being driven by air power out there

cheers and read a comic one day to loosen up u dont have to worry about armagedon im looking for an answer
not. answer the million dollar q.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as "a solid-state battery". If it is a lithium battery then without a charging circuit it could catch on fire.

I wouldn't use a sparking motor and an overcharged lithium battery in a hazadous environment.

...a DC motor being driven by air power...

I think you asking for something that doesn't exist. A DC motor is powered by electricity and drives something else...an air motor is driven by compressed air and drives something else...why would someone made a device that is two such power driven devices as a unit. An dc motor driven air compressor or a pneumatic driven generator makes sense...but not a horse with a tail on each end and no head. ;)

If you can charge your battery with a current-limited (<1mA?) low voltage source (~4V?), it would be much safer to pull in an charging cable from outside your hazard zone, than to try an seal up an arcing motor.

Then again, it really doesn't seem that you've told us the whole story.

Ken

Men who have no imagination ed.

in your own quote

trying to do what hasnt been done i came to the negative place my guess
not positive some have more wit that u think

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Last edited:

halo guys! am new in here. this was my dream before to have a forum like this since i am an electronic leaning or to be generic a man full of scientific curiosity. with this, any body could help me share a design of a power regulator whose power source shall be taken from a 12 volt motor battery and whose output is 12 volt regulated 60 to 100 watts capable of driving a headlight lamp of my xrm 110 motor cycle? Coz am planning to have a separate circuit for my xrm honda single motor for a brighter lighting conditions during rainy days at nghtime driving. any help is highly appreciated. My email add: jefzramo@yahoo.com. thank you very much. JEPOY OF BUTUAN

in your own quote

trying to do what hasnt been done i came to the negative place my guess
not positive some have more wit that u think

Negative only in the sense that we don't want to be named in an "after the explosion" law suit. Using your imagination and a pile of junk is fantastic...until you place others at risk. Because of the lack of details, it leaves us to be a little bit reticent in encouraging, from a distance, what appears to be a dangerous idea.

If you are looking for a solution to your charging problem, you can expect a lot of help here. If you are looking for affirmation of what appears to be a dangerous idea, you can expect reluctance.

Ken

Solution?

Were you ever able to find a solution for this problem? I have a very similar situation that I'm beginning to investigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back