Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC circuit for rat killer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched and search, never found a homemade electric rat trap, other than wiring them up to the mains.

I remember seeing somthing simalar to your bucket trap in a farming magazine years ago. I don't remember the specifics, but it used an electric fence charger to cause the rat or mouse to fall off a narrow, baited bridge over the water. I suppose you could attatch the ground side of the charger to the bridge and the wire side to a copper washer or somthing with bait on it. I never built it, but thought about it. I hate mice and rats!:mad:

If you built somthing with mains or a microwave transformer, I would put it inside a length of PVC pipe or somthing to lessen the chance a child or pet would get hurt.

Last edited:
Torbin
I need a few traps just like that one Ha!

:) Well, I've never found anything that works better than a Victor trap. And I don't understand the "single-use" comment above; I've never had a problem with reusing them.

But after the two-for-one deal I got with that trap, the next time I set it, it caught the rat by the tail. I've got no problem with killing something if I intend to eat it, but if it's just a crime of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, I'd prefer to kill the little buggers by proxy (i.e. trap). I had to break out the heavy gloves and axe...not my idea of a real good time. Oh well.

And yeah, I'm aware that it's irrational to be OK with killing something in a trap but less OK with it when it's staring right at me. I can live with that irrationality. :)

Torben

:)
And yeah, I'm aware that it's irrational to be OK with killing something in a trap but less OK with it when it's staring right at me. I can live with that irrationality. :)

Torben

I know what you mean there.:( I had one get its hind leg snapped in a spring trap a while ago. I couldn't stand to see it suffer so I got a glove and held it under water until it drown. Funny how I can feel a little sorry for them one second and be cursing them the next when I find a nest in the heater of a truck thats been parked for a while, or open an air cleaner and find it stuffed full of acorns:mad:

Last edited:
Thanks Mikebits. I love it! That's my city! I prefer the City Paper map "Murder Ink". our area NE, only has a few murders. Ha!

Murder Ink Map. Locate information about murders in Baltimore City 2006-present.

Sorry, I did not mean to dis on your city. I have only been through it once, and it was a very bad experience. I am sure your city, like all cities have good areas and bad. It is unfortunate that my visit was to the bad area, and that was the impression I was left with.

Peace :)

P.S. Have you tried leading out the rats with a flute?

:) Well, I've never found anything that works better than a Victor trap. And I don't understand the "single-use" comment above; I've never had a problem with reusing them.

Torben

This was my first experience with rodents as a homeowner. Both the snap-traps I bought, only caught one each. Been tripped a few times since, usually the bait is still intact. I made no attempt at cleaning them, just re-baited and set them. This was just my experience using them, compared to the electronic ones.

This was my first experience with rodents as a homeowner. Both the snap-traps I bought, only caught one each. Been tripped a few times since, usually the bait is still intact. I made no attempt at cleaning them, just re-baited and set them. This was just my experience using them, compared to the electronic ones.

Maybe Floridian rats are smarter. :) I never clean my Victors, but I also really mold the cheese quite firmly onto and around the bait platform and use hardish cheese, so it's unlikely that the rat will get much cheese off it without disturbing the trigger.

That said, the same trap usually takes around 3 days between kills. Rats learn quickly but I'm not sure how good their memory retention is.

Torben

I when my cat badly injured a mouse, it was wriggling around on the ground so I whacked it over the head with a lump hammer and its brains were sprayed everywhere - not very nice.

Harvey,
thank you kindly for your reply. I visited your earlier thread, and will return. I know just exatcly what your going through. Early on in this home, next door old guy was the culprit. we put in 2 dumptruck loads of topsoil to level our yard out. So, when new grass was growing, I see divots everywher and was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out. One day before fishing trip, I'm outside loading van. I look over to see old Elmer, with a galvanized trashcan lid with a huge pyramid of stuff on it. Put in in the middle of yard, I can see it close up. it was a huge mound of CAT FOOD, PENUTS IN SHELLS, PRETZLES & POPCORN. nearly had a stroke. So something was probably full & said "look over there! fresh, soft topsoil we can bury in! He also had another anoying habit probably with my father. But when he did that.... to me... well that's another quick story....hehehe.

I guess the key is to be aggressive and consistent. Pretty sure my infestation has ended, but going to keep the traps going, and keep an eye on things for the next few months. If your neighbor keeps putting out food, you will likely continue to have a rat problem. Could always get yourself a large breed dog or two, and let them out at your neighbor's feeding time... They aren't too picky about free food, shouldn't be much left for the wildlife.

Let me know if you try the bucket trap. Seems like it would work, and catch multiple rats at a time. Most everything else I've seen is one rat per trap. The bummer is they are well fed, so baits might not lure them. I think the high fat content in the dog treats was the thing that worked for me. Mostly my neighbor was providing proteins and carbohydrates.

Rats do some nasty damage to the home. It's not worth letting them get that far. I only had a few minor repairs, but they were close to getting inside.

No, mikebits, you got it wrong! I was saying I love the map you showed me.
And "Murdermore, Maryland" is MY
city. that's why I just wanted to share another favorite map!
[I sure am sorry about what experience you had, also, I'm real glad you're here to talk about it!]

Only if flutes have big hooks on the end for their burrows. I did try the power washer drain cleaner line in there, but the lifegaurd rats never ran out dragging out friends....:D

Sorry, I did not mean to dis on your city. I have only been through it once, and it was a very bad experience. I am sure your city, like all cities have good areas and bad. It is unfortunate that my visit was to the bad area, and that was the impression I was left with.

P.S. Have you tried leading out the rats with a flute?

Thanks Mikebits. I love it! That's my city! I prefer the City Paper map "Murder Ink". our area NE, only has a few murders. Ha!

Last edited:
I have never seen a rat.
We have some Possums running around now and their bald tail is something like a rat's tail.

Just saw this old thread with some new replies on it. I build a wasp zapper with DC at 5600 Volts. I use a ballasted microwave transformer with a 70 Watt streetlight ballast in series and use a voltage doubler with two microwave capacitors.
It works very well. For the rats I am sure it would work but it has the potential to kill a cat as well so an adequate guard is a must.
I see if I can attach the YouTube video links I made.
I put this on top of the underground nest entrance and must have popped at least 3000 wasps or Yellow Jackets.

my god it took forever to sign up and all this and that just for a reply....here it goes ...beware very dangerous circuit like someone else already said if it can kill a rat it can kill you but its very easy to do ...please I take no responsiablity to anyone who dies from this but its very important to share knowledge ....use a disposable camera open it up...BE VERY CAREFUL SINCE THIS IS ABLE TO STOP THE HEART....THE capacitor inside don't touch use rubber handle screwdriver and wear rubber gloves so I can sleep knowing I did my best to warn people...discharge capacitor by touching both posts to the rubber handle screwdriver metal(EVEN IF THIS CAMERA HAS NEVER BEEN USED ASSUME ITS CHARGED AND READY TO KILL JUST LIKE GUN SAFTY!)...OK NOW ATTACH COPPER SOLID wire to each post perhaps a foot in length one post at a time never touch both just incase now put a piece of cheese inbetween the posts at about the 6inch area of the 12 inch 2 copper wires once again don't touch both with cheese or your self....insert batt and open shutter for 10 seconds then close shutter ...now capacitor is charged and ready to kill the rat ...please don't ever do this mod unless u r an adult and know what your doing this circuit has many uses that r for the good and should always be used that way....they r taking away things like this because if guns r taken from us we will need this circuit to build electro magnetic guns that fire ferrious bullets so even if u don't want to kill rats its important everyone has a old flash camera circuit...also can be used in outerspace folks///// PLEASE BE CAREFULL CAPACITORS LIKE THE ONE IN CAMERA R SLOWLY BEING TAKEN AWAY FROM US AND I FEEL ITS IMPORTANT WE HAVE THESE FOR THINGS THAT COULD SAVE LIVES AND OUR FREEDOM FROM BEING TAKEN

Interesting thread going back to 2008 with activity in 2015 and 2016 leading up to today. I liked Mikebits post. :)

**broken link removed**

Sorry, I could not resist :)

Python and 586.png

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back